Por Kee Eating House
Filed in best zi char place | March 28, 2016
A traditional Chinese eatery as quaint as Tiong Bahru, Por Kee Eating House is one of the best zi char places on the island. Pork ribs, tofu, steamed fish, hand-made flat noodles, chili crabs, and buttered prawns taste so good that make the eatery an attraction around the area. This old-school Chinese home-style eating place is where you could proudly take your grandparents and relatives for a weekend dinner.
- A wide selection of Cantonese dishes: Lotus Root Soup, Cereal Prawns, Fried Beef Hor Fun, and Homemade Beancurd are just some of the delicious offers on its menu. The heavy usage of sauces and oil gives most of the dishes a rich taste.
- Signature Homemade Beancurd: Por Kee’s signature beancurd is particularly commendable for its balanced taste and texture; crispy on the outside, soft and silky on the inside. Served with mushrooms in a flavourful sauce infused with wok-hei, this beancurd is a dish to die for.
- Champagne Pork Ribs: This pork rib dish is available in both solo and group portions. Expect to be wowed by the faint Champagne after-taste. The bone-in cuts may sometimes come with fats, but the thick savoury sauce could be too tempting for you not to try it anyway. For this reason, it is one of the best-selling signature dishes at Por Kee.
- There is a dining area with air conditioning: As Zi Char eateries tend to sport a humble and run-down abode, Por Kee’s air-conditioned dining area with around 8 large round tables is truly special. This in-room amenity is perfect for those who would like to find comfort from the hot weather that envelopes the island all-year round.
The 5 Best Zi Char Places in Singapore
At Por Kee Eating House, the menu is predominantly Cantonese. There is a wide variety of starters and mains for vegans and non-vegans. A good selection of wines is also available to clean up the savoury after-taste.
– Homemade Beancurd
– Champagne Pork Ribs
– Singapore Chili Crab
– Crispy Butter Prawns
– Deep-fried Salted Chicken
– Thai Style Live Sea Bass
– Sweet and Sour Pork
– Fried Beef Hor Fun
Being a Zi Char restaurant, Por Kee tends to have a noisy crowd during lunch and dinner hours. The indoor dining area is very limited, while the tables outdoor could hardly accommodate a large group of diners. Walk-in guests should expect to wait for at least 10 minutes to get a table but the delectable food will totally make up for it.
Average Price/Pax: S$20
Reservation is highly recommended.
You may also like