Tiong Bahru Bakery
Filed in best bakeries | July 19, 2018
The baked goods taste delicious as it smells, Tiong Bahru Bakery is a hipster-cool bourgeoisie in the quaint Tiong Bahru neighborhood. This bake shop manned by Gontran Cherrier is constantly raved about for its high quality pain au Chocolat, Brioche, Croissants, and Kouign-amann. Some customers even went as far as saying Tiong Bahru Bakery has the best croissants in Singapore. But do they really? Find out in this review.
- Croissants taste as good as in Paris: Buttery and flaky crusts, light to airy insides, and morning-like freshness, croissants by this bake shop are at par with the ones served in Paris. The flour itself is imported from France, so the bread is well-baked overall. Sample the plain and almond croissants as they win the hearts of the many here.
- Kouign-amann for those who miss it… always: Probably, your Euro tour had introduced you to this Breton cake. And back in Singapore, you’re having a withdrawal. Drop by at Tiong Bahru Bakery to fix this craving and experience this puffy and sweet pastry once more.
- Common Man coffee to complement the pastries: Breakfast is not complete without a cuppa of your favourite coffee. The beans are from the Common Man, a group of artisanal coffee brewers from Australia and Singapore. Flat whites and espresso are commonly paired with baguettes and croissants.
- Interesting sandwich section: A unique addition to the traditional French pastries and sweets are those open faced sandwiches. There are rocket, squid ink, smoked salmon, among many other favourites. The size is good enough for one person, but freshness of the bun and delectable ingredients might leave you wanting for more.
5 Best Singapore’s Bakeries for Freshly Baked Bread and Pastry
MENU: There is no menu per se, but a wide variety of sweet and savoury pastries are on offer. You pick your own order from the glass cabinet and then head straight to the counter for payment.
AMBIANCE: Located in Tiong Bahru, this bakery sports a modern café style but the Chinese influence is strong on its signage and cutleries. Both outdoor and indoor dining spaces are available, perfect for savouring a good breakfast in a fine weather. Don’t be even surprised if some memories of your Paris trip will begin to roll like they’re a series of motion picture before your eyes.
- Almond Croissant
- Chocolate Croissant
- Squid Ink Baguette
- Pandan Flan
- Apple Crumble
- Round Lemon Tart
- Fromage Blanc
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$15
ALL TIONG BAHRU BAKERY’S LOCATIONS
@ Tiong Bahru
Address: 56 Eng Hoon Street, #01-70, S160056
- Sun to Thu: 8:00 – 20:00
- Fri & Sat: 8:00 – 22:00
@ Raffles City
Address: 252 North Bridge Road, #B1-11/12 Raffles City Shopping Centre, S179103
Opening hours: Daily 08:00 – 22:00
@ TANGS Orchard
Address: 310 Orchard Road, #01-16B TANGS Orchard, S238864
- Mon to Sat: 08:00 – 22:00
- Sun: 08:00 – 21:00