Italian cooking has become synonymous with love, different forms of love ̶ romantic love, self-love, love for the family, and love for life. Maybe it’s the way Italians lovingly pass down traditional recipes from generation to generation, their high standards for freshness and authenticity, or their careful attention to the cooking process, not taking any shortcuts. Or maybe it’s the wine. Whatever it is, the most romantic cuisine is, undoubtedly, well-loved all over the world.
Singapore’s relationship with Italian cuisine is still in its early stages, beginning only in the late 1980s. The fascination started with one of Italy’s most classic dishes, spaghetti, until it blossomed into varieties of pasta and sauces, espresso, wines, and of course, gelato.
Here is a curated list of the 7 best Italian restaurants in Singapore [2023 review] for those days when you want to be filled with love ̶ the gastronomic way.
Three factors make an excellent Italian restaurant: fresh ingredients, seasonal produce, and authentic recipes. Basilico at Regent Singapore ticks all three boxes with the added theatrics of classic Italian elements such as a rotisserie, an espresso bar, and a walk-in cellar.
One cannot miss, of course, the essence of romance in the restaurant’s al fresco dining area, which lights up in its complete elegance at nighttime.
At the helm of Basilico is Head Chef Valerio Pierantonelli, born and raised in the capital of the world’s most romantic country. His passion is making a mark for Italian cuisine, for which he has achieved unprecedented success in Europe, America, and now, Asia.
- Brunch di Fine Settimana (Weekend Brunch): Starting at S$112, Basilico’s brunch menu features an indulgent selection of antipasti such as 36 months-aged Parma Ham with Rock Melon, Prosciutto Cotto, Norcia Black Truffle Burrata, and a seasonal assortment of cheeses. The mare, fegato grasso, mains, and dessert platter are equally indulgent.
- Formagissimo Nights: Staying true to its Italian heritage, Basilico’s Formagissimo Nights introduces exquisite cheese and wine pairings, including their exclusive Marzolin di Pienza alla Birra e Orzo. Priced at S$68, enjoy a platter of delicious cheeses with three wine pairings.
- Island-Wide Delivery and Takeaway: Whether you’re looking to relish your traditional Italian meal at home, on a picnic, or by the beach, Basilico conveniently offers delivery and pick-up.
MENU: You can never go wrong with a menu that showcases the freshest seasonal produce, expertly crafted by a world-renowned chef. Make sure to order at least one item from every selection of antipasti, pizza, pasta, fish and meats, and dessert. Basilico also offers classic Singaporean flavors such as Laksa and Hokkien Noodle.
- Carpaccio di Manzo, S$30
- Taglioni all’Astice, S$45
- Tentacolo di Polipo, S$40
- Tiramisu, S$14
LOOK & FEEL: Basilico has a smart casual dress code to complement its elegant interiors. The magnificent chandelier almost steals the spotlight from the sumptuous Italian spread below it.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$110
NOTE: Last order for food and alcohol is at 21:00 and 21:30, respectively.
- Buses: 106, 123, 132 (2-min walk from Tomlinson Road Station)
- Nearest MRT Station: Orchard (14-min walk from exit NS22)
ART di Daniele Sperindio couldn’t have picked a better name for the restaurant because as you walk into its doors, a breathtaking visual masterpiece lays ahead of you ̶ the Singapore skyscape, a colorful marriage of man and nature’s handiworks.
That’s only the beginning, of course. Group Executive Chef Daniele Sperindio delicately combines modern techniques with classical flavors, not limiting himself to a fixed menu but allowing him and his team to explore, create, and evolve.
In 2021, ART di Daniele Sperindio received one Michelin star, which, you will agree, is indeed well-deserved.
- One Michelin Star: Every gastronomic bucket list must have Michelin stars on its checklist, and ART di Daniele Sperindio is definitely worth the stop. Michelin Guide speaks of ART di Daniele Sperindio with reverence, “From the sea to the mountains, the exquisitely plated courses are rooted in tradition, but invigorated by creativity, finesse, and inventive food combinations that always satisfy.”
- Lunch Degustation: Chef Daniele’s 8-course lunch degustation menu, “An Italian Tale,” takes patrons on a culinary journey, which begins with him as a starry-eyed kid, dreaming of making his mark in the world.
- Fine Wine Selection: ART di Daniele Sperindio curates a fine wine selection sourced from Italy, France, Slovenia, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, and China. It features a dreamy list of vintage, non-vintage, and Rosé champagnes for your milestone celebrations.
MENU: ART di Daniele Sperindio has ala carte and tasting menus that showcase fresh and seasonal produce, given a sophisticated, innovative treatment. Wherever they take their menu’s evolution, you will surely end up satisfied with their antipasti, insalata, pasta, pizzas, mains, and desserts.
- An Italian Tale, 8-Course Degustation Menu
- Barbabietola Cremosa
- Delicata di Capesante
- Anatra di Campania
LOOK & FEEL: ART di Daniele Sperindio evokes a strong romantic vibe with its gorgeous wooden interiors, rich natural light, and magnificent view.
PRICES OF THE MENUS:
- Lunch Experience: Three Course S$158++ per person | Four Course S$188++ per person | Five Course S$208++ per Person
- Tasting Menu: Seven Course – S$328++ per person
NOTE: ART di Daniele Sperindio accommodates private dining events, making it a perfect place for engagement and wedding parties.
- Buses: 166, 174, 61 (2-min walk from Parliament PI station)
- Nearest MRT Station: City Hall (7-min walk from exit NS25)
Dolce Vita, which literally translates to “sweet life,” invites its diners to celebrate the sweetness of life through authentic Italian cuisine that highlights the freshest flavors and most vibrant seasonal produce. A testament to the Italian cooking, the exquisite selection of dishes rotates with the season, which also means there is something to forward to each month.
Dolce Vita’s ambience is as chic as its menu, thanks to its luxe décor and floor-to-ceiling glass windows. Fans of kitchen theatrics will surely appreciate the vertical windows that give a glimpse of Dolce Vita’s brilliant chefs in action.
- Saturday Brunch: If you had only one day in the week to treat yourself, you should absolutely consider Saturday brunch at Dolce Vita. Starting at S$118/pax, the brunch spread showcases the finest Italian cold cuts, cheeses, seafood, meats, and decadent pastries.
- Monthly Lunch and Dinner Set Menus: The best thing about monthly set menus is the promise of fresh seasonal produce, whatever the season. It is, after all, the only proper way to honor genuine Italian cuisine.
- Wine by the Glass Selection: Dolce Vita sources its wine from Austria, Italy, France, Chile, New Zealand, and the USA, which patrons can enjoy by the glass. Their in-house sommeliers are more than happy to assist you with your wine pairings to give you the most satisfying Italian dining experience.
MENU: Dynamic vibrancy is the theme of Dolce Vita’s ala carte and set menus as the highest quality of seasonal produce take center stage in their appetizers, pizzas, pasta, risottos, mains, and desserts. Their rich selection of fine Italian cheeses and cold cuts pair well with their world-class wines.
- Sgombro, S$36
- Tortelli, S$36
- Anatra al Forno, S$48
- Pineapple and Chamomile Panna Cotta, S$16
LOOK & FEEL: Dolce Vita has a contemporary romantic vibe with free-flowing sunlight during the day, intricate wood and tile flooring, and a fun pop of color in its details.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$95
- Buses: 75, 753, 97 (3-min walk from Raffles Station)
- Nearest MRT Station: Promenade (8-min walk from CC4|DT15 exit)
Garibaldi Restaurant & Bar has become a revered institution in the Italian culinary scene in Singapore.
With over ten years in the industry and a Michelin star rating, Garibaldi has set the standard of excellence for Italian fine dining. It has become a favorite haunt among local and foreign foodies because of its elegant but friendly atmosphere and sterling menu, with a lot of its ingredients flown directly from Italy.
Garibaldi on Purvis Street has an extensive menu as owner and executive chef Roberto Galetti wants to introduce as much of Italian tradition to Singapore. Still, their signature dishes, Ossobuco, Costoletta alla Milanese, and Tiramisu never fail to impress.
- One Michelin Star Rating: In June 2017, Garibaldi was awarded a one-star rating by the Michelin Guide, a testament to the restaurant’s sterling execution of Italian cooking ̶ with the utmost skill, attention to detail, and panache.
- The Garibaldi Michelin Menu: If you’re intrigued which dishes merited their Michelin star, the Garibaldi Michelin Menu is for you. Starting at S$158, your tastebuds will feast on crisp, contrasting flavors and playful textures, such as their Capasanta con Ricci di Mare, Uva Eyuzu, or Marinated Hokkaido Scallop with Fresh Sea Urchin, Grapes, and Yuzu.
- 7,000 Labels of Wine: Garibaldi Restaurant & Bar takes wine seriously, which is why their lengthy list showcases 7,000 labels sourced from all over the globe.
MENU: Garibaldi has one of the lengthiest Italian menus on the island, offering ala carte and weekday set menus, a chef’s lunch menu, weekend brunch, seasonal specials, signature menu, and of course, their Michelin menu.
- Capesante al Tartufo, S$42
- Lunghetti Gamberi e Bottarga, S$58
- Ossobuco alla Garibaldi, S$58
- Tiramisu di Mamma Bice, S$20
LOOK & FEEL: The vibe at Garibaldi Restaurant & Bar is all about comfortable elegance, somewhat akin to visiting family and friends in the upscale city of Florence.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$150
NOTE: If you’re looking to treat your loved ones to a spectacular Italian experience, Garibaldi’s gift vouchers are a perfect idea.
- Buses: 100, 80, 851 (2-min walk from North Bridge Road station)
- Nearest MRT Station: Esplanade (6-min walk from CC3 exit)
Prego, which translates to “come in,” has a charming, inviting vibe, sort of like visiting your nonna at her gorgeous coastal home on a warm Sunday afternoon. The infectious smiles of the staff, along with Executive Chef Mauro Sanna if you’re lucky, will get you excited to dig into handcrafted pizzas and pasta, scrumptious cheeses and cold cuts, and rich Italian dishes.
Opening early at 7 in the morning, Prego offers a breakfast menu, perfect for when you want a delicious start to your day.
- Executive Chef Mauro Sanna: Chef Mauro has more than 40 years of culinary experience, primarily fueled by his passion for food. His kitchen education started at a tender age as a spectator/apprentice to her mother in their coastal hometown, Sardinia. His cooking philosophy is to take what nature gives and treat it with utmost love and respect.
- Kids’ Menu: Family feast is at the heart of every Italian celebration, but the truth is that kids can be the pickiest eaters. That is why Prego has generously crafted their kids’ menu, featuring pizzas, pasta, and meats that even grownups will enjoy.
- Afternoon Tea: Prego offers the Italian tradition of afternoon tea from 1500 to 1700 daily. Dainty sweets and savory treats such as Cornetto con Spuma di Mortadella e Pistachio, Perle di Melone in Cappa di Prosciutto, Torta di Formaggio al Parmigiana, and Crostata di Limone accompany their selections of teas, wines, beers, and spritzes.
MENU: Prego offers a menu for every type of dining experience you desire: ala carte and set menu, breakfast, afternoon, afternoon tea, signature set menu, kids’, pizza and Prosecco champagne, dinner, beverage, and even takeaway.
- Foie Gras Scotatto in Padella, S$32
- Bakalaki, S$32
- Astice Gratinato ai Pistachi, S$88
- Zuccoto Fantasia, S$18
LOOK & FEEL: Prego has a timeless, homey feel with brick walls and wooden interiors. Although not many people pay attention, the intricately-designed tile flooring of the dining area is a sight to behold.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$95
NOTE: Wednesday nights are Ladies Night at Prego; female guests can enjoy “buy one, get one” on a select list of wines.
- Buses: 10, 100, 106 (1-min walk from Raffles Station)
- Nearest MRT Station: City Hall (6-min walk from NS25 exit)
Set in the lush HortPark, Vineyard is immensely inspired by its beautiful surroundings, like stepping into a beautiful green wonderland. This garden-to-table French-Italian restaurant has a romantic summer vibe with vibrant plants, a colorful herb garden, and aged wooden tables and accents.
Every dish served on your table promises the highest level of freshness, with many ingredients grown in their garden. They employ a strong localized and seasonal food philosophy to produce excellent recipes and help local farmers.
Come to Vineyard when you feel particularly congested by the bustling cityscape and escape into their tranquil, green space ̶ even only for the length of a meal.
- Garden-to-Table Recipes: The garden-to-table concept is absolutely chic, but more importantly, it means less handling and processing, leaving nutrients as highly intact as possible. Imagine a plate of Root Vegetable Salad where every piece of produce just sparkles in front of you.
- Fair-Priced Weekday Lunch Set Menu: Starting at S$30++ for a 2-course lunch, Vineyard’s lunch set menu is one of the most affordable of its kind. The menu changes every month to highlight the best produce of the season.
- Intimate Ambience: Everything in and around Vineyard evokes an airy atmosphere of romance that captivates all of the senses, making it an ideal venue for marriage proposals, engagement parties, and wedding celebrations.
MENU: Vineyard’s menu promises freshness, and it isn’t hard to deliver because most of what they need is within their reach. And, because ingredients are sourced in their garden or from local farmers, you will be pleased that their dishes, from their appetizers and soups to their pasta, mains, and desserts, are friendly-priced.
- Spiced 20 Hours Irish Duck Leg Confit, S$30
- Burrata Salad, S$26
- Homemade Squid Ink Tagliatelle, S$28
- Aquafaba Pavlova, S$18
LOOK & FEEL: Vineyard has modern European interiors, with abundant sunshine penetrating its floor-to-ceiling glass windows. Its wonderful accents include robust foliage, pretty pots, and enchanting lights.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$55
NOTE: Take advantage of Vineyard’s Reward Program, where you earn points every time you dine, and especially on your birthday, too.
- Buses: 120, 61, 963 (4-min walk from Alexandra Road Station)
- Nearest MRT Station: Labrador Park (15-min walk from exit CC27)
Il Cielo translates as \"the sky\" in English and there is no better way to enjoy Italian comfort food than with a stunning view of the Singapore skyline. Located at the rooftop level of voco Orchard Singapore, this newly rebranded Italian restaurant offers casual Italian dining with an outdoor poolside seating option.
Il Cielo is helmed by Chef Marco Fregnan, former chef of Otto Ristorante and Perbacco, who expertly whips up his signature Italian fares such as Manzo & Tartufo, 6-cheese pizza, Fritto Misto, and many more.
- Cozy rooftop experience at the roof deck: Check out Il Cielo if you want to veer away from stuffy Italian restaurants. It is best to come at dusk and witness the changing colors of the sky and the city while sipping a glass of wine paired with your favorite Italian dishes.
- Italian set lunch with a poolside view: For as low as S$28, you can avail of the seasonal Italian lunch and sit by the 12-meter pool.
- Private dining room for intimate events: If you need a more exclusive space to dine, Il Cielo has a private dining room that seats 10 persons. You may also book the entire restaurant for bigger events.
MENU: Il Cielo offers contemporary Italian food made from fresh ingredients that are sourced locally and from Italy. The menu includes handmade pasta, gourmet pizza, hearty antipasti, meat and seafood main dishes, and an assortment of sides and salads. There are also seasonal items on the menu that makes use of the freshest produce available.
- Fritto Misto, S$26
- Burrata e Tartufo, S$34
- Pappardelle all’ anatra, S$34
- Manzo & Tartufo, S$40
- Il Cielo Set Lunch, S$28/S$34
LOOK & FEEL: Il Cielo has a casual and laid-back vibe. You can go smart casual and choose between al fresco rooftop dining by the pool or the more intimate indoor option.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$50
- Il Cielo is cashless and accepts most credit and debit cards.
- Last order for lunch is at 2:30 PM and 9:15 PM for dinner.
- Buses: 7, 36, 36B, 77, 105, 106, 111, 123, 132, 174, 174e, 502, 502A (2-min walk from Delfi Orchard or Royal Thai Embassy Station)
- Nearest MRT Station: Orchard (6-min walk via Angullia Park)