Chinatown Wet Market
Filed in best wet market | March 23, 2016
Chinatown Wet Market is one of the most exotic wet markets in Singapore. Situated at the iconic Chinatown Complex along Smith Street, this wet market still remains its Chinese heritage and cultural elements.
- A part of Chinese culture in Chinatown: Located in Chinatown Singapore, Chinatown Wet Market has a vibrant atmosphere of this ethnic neighborhood. You can find typical Chinese cooking ingredients like Chinese vegetables, herbs and spices and have chance to observe the way Chinese people doing business as well.
- A place to buy live shellfish: Whether you want to find expensive stuff like crabs and lobsters or more affordable ones like cockles, clams and prawns, you can get them at Chinatown Wet Market. The array of big, live crabs and lobsters in plastic crates is impressive.
- A market for exotic meats: Live frogs, eels and even turtles are meat ingredients in some special recipes of the locals. If you want to taste something different and delicious without learning any exotic recipes, you can try the popular frog porridge at these places.
The 5 Best Wet Markets in Singapore
What are on offer?
– Vegetables with main focus on Asian varieties
– Chinese herbs
– Tropical fruit
– Fresh meats
– Live seafood
– Dry goods
– Preserved foods
– Homemade tofu and mock meat
For the same purchased items, prices are quite cheap in comparison with supper markets’ ones.
Chinatown Wet Market gathers Chinese Singaporeans, especially senior residents flocking to get their favorite food ingredients. So the hum of voices from various Chinese dialects is in the air. This market is colorful with a beautiful array of fresh vegetables, fruit and spices and exciting with the typical smells of a wet market.
Chinatown Complex Food Centre located at the same level with the market is one of the best hawker centres in Singapore. It offers tasty and popular dishes such as chicken rice, popiah, bee hoon and fish ball noodles.
– Come early for the best selection
– Bargain for better prices
You may also like