5 Best Yu Sheng (Lo Hei) in Singapore to Celebrate CNY 2023
Eat & Drink |
January 06, 2023
Quick links (scrolling down):
The Year of the Rabbit is right around the corner, and it’s time once again to gather with family and celebrate the Lunar New Year with a bountiful feast to attract prosperity.
No New Year feast is complete without the traditional Yu Sheng, also known as Lo Hei or Yee Sang. It is a salad dish composed of thin slices of seafood with an assortment of shredded vegetables and various condiments and sauces. Diners believe that yu sheng brings longevity and prosperity. The higher you toss your yu sheng, the more luck you will receive throughout the coming year.
Look no further if you are hunting for the best yu sheng to celebrate the Chinese New Year in Singapore. Here is our list of the 5 best Yu Sheng in Singapore 2023 that you can feast on to welcome the Year of the Rabbit.
Min Jiang has been a Singaporean favorite since 1982. Located at Goodwood Park Hotel, it is one of the most popular restaurants where you can savor the best yu sheng to usher in the new lunar year.
- The Five Blessings Lo Hei is this year’s yu sheng star at Min Jiang. It is highlighted with lobster, 6-head abalones, raw salmon, Hokkaido scallops, and deep-fried salted egg yolk fish skin. It is then served with a colorful display of julienned fresh vegetables such as arugula, yellow frisee, romaine lettuce, purple shiso, carrots, and pink baby radish. A garnish of pomelo, pickles, edible flowers, deep-fried sweet potato strips, pine nuts, crushed roasted peanuts, and roasted sesame tops this delectable creation. The dish is accompanied by a dressing of plum sauce, strawberry jam, calamansi juice, lime, ginger flower buds, chilli padi, garlic, and onion.
- This lucky yu sheng is presented with a beautiful illustration of two rabbits in a bamboo forest personally hand-painted by Master Chef Chan Hwan Kee of Min Jiang.
- Five Blessings Lo Hei: S$298 (Large)
- Prosperity Lobster Yu Sheng: S$118 (Small); S$178 (Large)
- Abalone Yu Sheng: S$118 (Small); S$178 (Large)
- Salmon Yu Sheng: S$98 (Small); S$138 (Large)
- Vegetaria Yu Sheng: S$88 (Large)
AVAILABLE: 4 January to 5 February 2023
Shang Palace at Shangri-la has been serving exquisite Cantonese cuisine in Singapore since 1971. This Michelin-star restaurant is headed by multi-awarded Executive Chinese Chef Daniel Cheung.
For this year’s lo hei experience, Shang Palace is showcasing the Auspicious Rabbit Yu Sheng. You can also opt for smaller portions of the Fortune Yu Sheng with a choice of Poached Lobster, Norwegian Smoked Salmon, or Abalone.
- There is no better way to welcome the Year of the Rabbit than with Shang Palace’s Auspicious Rabbit Yu Sheng. This a la carte dish takes the shape of a rabbit and showcases South African Abalone, Hokkaido Scallops, Poached Lobster, and Scottish Smoked Salmon.
- You can also opt for the 8-course set menu that features the Fortune Yu Sheng with Norwegian Smoked Salmon and Poached Lobster.
- Auspicious Rabbit Yu Sheng: S$388
- Fortune Yu Sheng – Poached Lobster: S$188 (Small); S$298 (Big)
- Fortune Yu Sheng – Norwegian Smoked Salmon: S$98 (Small); S$168 (Big)
- Fortune Yu Sheng – Abalone: S$128 (Small); S$238 (Big)
AVAILABLE: 9 January to 5 February 2023
Jade Restaurant at The Fullerton Hotel in Singapore never disappoints when it comes to welcoming the Lunar New Year. An institution in Chinese cuisine, Jade Restaurant, is the favorite go-to place for many Chinese New Year revelers.
Jade Restaurant was recently revamped in 2017 and has a seating capacity of 120. It has two private dining rooms and two partitioned areas for those who want to enjoy their yu sheng away from the crowd.
- This year, Executive Chinese Chef Leong Chee Yeng is pulling out all the stops with his Premium Year of the Rabbit Yu Sheng, a beautifully arranged creation shaped like a white rabbit. You can choose between Norwegian Smoked Salmon and Plant-based Salmon with Champagne Jelly, Shallot Oil, and Kumquat Dressing.
- If you want a simpler fare, you can go for the Gold Rush Yu Sheng which comes in small, medium, and large portions.
- Premium Year of the Rabbit Yu Sheng: S$688 per platter (pre-order 3 days in advance)
- Gold Rush Yu Sheng: S$78 (Small); S$118 (Medium); S$138 (Large)
- Family-style set menu with yu sheng: From S$158
AVAILABLE: 3 January to 5 February 2023
Summer Pavilion is a consistent Michelin star awardee, earning its latest star for the 6th year in a row. Located at the Ritz Carlton Millenia Singapore, Summer Pavilion offers authentic Cantonese cuisine in a garden-inspired setting featuring hand-painted tableware.
If you want more privacy, Summer Pavilion has six private dining rooms with different seating capacities.
- For the Year of the Rabbit, Chinese Executive Chef Cheung Siu Kong is preparing a different twist to the traditional yu sheng. This year’s highlight is the Lobster and Black Caviar Yu Sheng. The dish features a whole lobster served with an assortment of lobster sashimi, caviar with gold leaf, cucumber, radish, pomelo, and crackers, tossed with plum sauce and a squeeze of lime.
- Other options are also available such as Abalone Yu Sheng, Salmon Yu Sheng, and Vegetarian Yu Sheng.
- Lobster, Black Caviar Yu Sheng: S$280 (Small); S$560 (Large)
- Abalone Yu Sheng: S$108 (Small); S$216 (Large)
- Salmon Yu Sheng: S$98 (Small); S$196 (Large)
- Vegetarian Yu Sheng: S$75 (Small); S$150 (Large)
- Australian Lobster Yu Sheng: Market Price Per 100g
- Lunar New Year Set Menu with Yu Sheng: From S$198 per person
AVAILABLE: 9 January to 5 February 2023
Enjoy your new year yu sheng with a view of Marina Bay at Peach Blossoms. Located at ParkRoyal Collection, Peach Blossoms serves traditional Cantonese cuisine using modern culinary techniques by award-winning Executive Chinese Chef Edward Chong.
Every year, loyal patrons flock to this restaurant for its specially curated Lunar New Year offerings, and this year will be no exception.
- This year’s highlight is the Peach Blossoms Harvest Yu Sheng, Chef Edward Chong’s crafty interpretation of “Flower Blossoms to Fortune and Prosperity”. Guests will have a unique experience smashing a nitrogen-infused rose into a mountain of kanpachi, abalone, crispy whitebait, and organic mixed fruits.
- Other yu sheng options include the Fortune Abalone Yu Sheng, Prosperity Salmon Yu Sheng, and Vegetarian Abalone Yu Sheng.
- Peach Blossoms Harvest Yu Sheng: S$138 – S$188
- Fortune Abalone Yu Sheng: S$128 – S$158
- Prosperity Salmon Yu Sheng with Crispy Whitebait and Nashi Pear: S$108 – S$138
- Prosperity Salmon Yu Sheng with Nashi Pear: S$98 – S$128
- Vegetarian Abalone Yu Sheng: S$78 – S$108
AVAILABLE: 15 January to 5 February 2023
We recommend for you
Eat & Drink
You may also like
Frequently Asked Questions about Singapore