Fertility test is necessary for young adults, both married and unmarried individuals.
It is a way to early detect if any issues would prevent natural pregnancy. Early awareness leads the way to early preparation.
A basic assessment is just enough for young adults without an immediate plan of having a baby. For female, the test usually includes a pelvic ultrasound scan and hormone blood test. For male, it is a semen analysis.
Couples with conceiving plan may need a more comprehensive assessment. This might include tests to identify couples at high risk of having a child with a serious heritable disorder.
In this article, space is given to the private fertility centres and clinic that offers basic fertility test package for couples.
Thomson Fertility Centre is the fertility unit of Thomson Medical Centre, an O&G specialty hospital in Singapore. The centre has recently moved to its new location at Paragon Medical Centre on Orchard Road, making it more accessible for patients.
Their screening package is only available to take after the first consultation with one of the centre’s specialists.
- Dr. Loh Seong Feei: A senior consultant with more than 15 years of experience in the area
- Dr. Marianne Hendricks: An IVF clinician with more than 10 years of experience in the area
- Dr. Janice Tung: A consultant with over 10 years of experience
- Dr. Ethiraj Balaji Prasath: A chief embryologist with more than 17 years of experience in the area
- Comprehensive blood tests (Female): Full blood count, blood group & rhesus factor, immune status (Hep B, Hep C, rubella IgG), STD status (HIV, syphilis), and hormone levels (FSH, LSH, estrogen, prolactin, TSH, progesterone, AMH)
- Pelvic ultrasound scan (Female): To find out if there are any abnormalities within the reproductive system
- Semen analysis (Male): sperm count, motility, and morphology
- Review with a fertility specialist
COST: $450 (GST inclusive)