Filed in best spanish restaurants | July 04, 2018
If you judge a Spanish restaurant by your tapas dining experience, then Esquina could be the best Spanish restaurant in Singapore. Esquina, founded by a Michelin-starred chef Jason Atherton, induces enthusiasm amongst Spanish cuisine fans today for its upmarket version of a tapas bar, which is all about combining modern Iberian-inspired dishes with Asian spice, plus a good list of wine on the side.
- Haute-cuisine tapas: At Esquina, the tapas look exceptionally creative with the way the chefs have prepared them. You can clearly see the high-level of cooking done to those bite-size tapas dishes, and this alone is the remarkable highlight that sets Esquina apart from other tapas bars in the country.
- Bespoke set lunch and dinner menus: As Esquina does have a variety of dinner and lunch set menus, you will have lots of options to explore. In fact, you could have a taste on certain dishes that are not available on a la carte or other pre-fixed menus. For example, a bunch of canapes are only made ready upon the arrival of supperclub diners. With this, you could say that each menu at Esquina is custom-made in accordance to the appetite of its customers.
- Watch the chefs in action: Marvel at the chefs and cooks from the open-kitchen bar as they work wonders on your food. At the bar, there is enough space between the chefs and the diners to encourage interaction and camaraderie, especially if ever you are curious to know their secrets to making exceptional tapas dishes. The chefs would also cater to special requests like creating a vegetarian version of the Spanish breakfast.
- Private, quiet and elegant dining room upstairs: Esquina 2.0, that is. Located upstairs of the restaurant, you can get a hold of this lovely place and try its bespoke tasting menus by reserving a private dinner. It is capable of seating 25 persons and is arranged with a long dining table, which definitely calls for a cosy feast.
The 5 Best Spanish Restaurants in Singapore
MENU: Esquina features a small seasonal menu. It would be great to order multiple tapas dishes just so you can have something pass around with your friends. But if having a light meal isn’t going to fulfill your big appetite, Esquina does offer business set lunch or supperclub menus.
- Iberico Pork & Foie Gras Burger
- George Bank Seared Scallops with Duck Green Curry
- Ox Cheek and Tongue
- Confit Squid and Chorizo Paella
- Roasted Landes Duck Breast
- Basil Sorbet with Black Pepper Meringue
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$100
AMBIANCE: Nestled at the corner of a quaint neighbourhood in Chinatown, Esquina has a historic vibe to it. Inside is a narrow array of bar tools right in front of an open kitchen where guests can have traditional tapas style of eating. Two main chefs are spearheading the front whom you could have a meaningful discussion about food with. As Esquina is a small tapas bar, fast-paced moments tend to get very rowdy but perhaps dining upstairs might provide a more private space.
NOTE: Esquina’s tapas bar is open for booking from 18:00 to 18:30 only, while the dining room upstairs is open for reservation during all opening hours.