Do you want to protect your home from intruders? Your best bet is a security camera. With today’s always-on, WiFi-connected cameras, monitoring your home is easy even when you’re on vacation.
That said, security cameras have endless varieties like any other home electronic device. There is also ample variety in pricing, with some flashy models with advanced features costing hundreds of dollars.
We’ve carefully selected models from well-known brands that will suit the needs of different homeowners or even those looking to enhance the security of their offices or shops. But before we dive into the reviews, it’s important to discuss the factors you should base your decision on.
What are the Different Types of Security Cameras?
Security cameras differ by design and features. For security purposes, closed circuit television or CCT cameras have been popular for a long time. However, newer, more compact security cameras are better suited for homes. These security cameras differ from CCTV cameras, which usually require a lot of storage and wired connectivity.
Here are the different types of security cameras:
- Dome cameras: These dome-shaped cameras typically go on the ceiling and provide a 360-degree view of the space.
- Tilt-and-pan cameras: These cameras have motors that allow them to move and capture a wide field of view. They can tilt and pan 360 degrees to cover the entire room/space.
- Bullet cameras: These resemble the cameras frequently used in CCTV systems. With a longer range, they can cover a large area. However, they may not offer a 360-degree view.
- Wireless cameras: These cameras connect to your phone wirelessly through WiFi. Some wireless cameras may also have rechargeable batteries.
- IP cameras: Internet Protocol (IP) cameras utilise the Internet to transfer feed. These can be wired or wireless.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Security Camera
- Resolution: Security cameras have different resolutions. A 1080p resolution is generally good enough, but if you want even better, go for 2K.
- Field of view: The field of view is critical because the coverage of the area is highly dependent on it. If you want to see the entire area, invest in a 360-degree camera. But if you want to focus only on one room or entrance, a 90 to 180-degree view field could also work.
- Night vision: Most security cameras have infrared night vision capability that allows them to record footage in the dark. However, pay attention to how far the night vision works.
- Weather resistance: If you’re installing the security camera outdoors (near a gate or window), ensure that it’s weather resistant. That way, rain, dust, and moisture won’t ruin it.
- Storage: Where will the footage be stored? If you want to store more footage, buy a camera with extendable external storage (memory card). Many security cameras also have cloud storage options.
- WiFi connectivity: While not necessary, a WiFi connection in a security camera lets you view your home in real time. Plus, with WiFi-connected cameras, you can receive alerts or use a microphone on the camera.
- Advanced features: If you want to take advantage of advanced features like custom alerts or motion sensors, look for a camera that offers such capabilities for securing your home.
- Assembly and installation: Lastly, pay attention to the assembly and installation requirements. Most security cameras today are fairly easy to install and have all the necessary hardware. However, you should consider where you plan to mount it.
Discover the 5 best security cameras to buy in Singapore [2024 reviews] chosen by our experts for their quality, reliability, and features.
1. TP-Link C210 Tapo Pan & Tilt WiFi Security Camera
The TP-Link C210 Tapo Pan & Tilt Security Camera is an all-rounder solution surveillance solution for your home. It records video at 15 FPS at up to 2K resolution, so the video quality is fully HD. It connects wirelessly with TP-Link’s Tapo app, which lets you set up the camera and manage features. The infrared night vision light can illuminate up to 10 metres of space. It’s a compact and lightweight camera that’s also easy to install.
Another notable feature of this security camera is a motion sensor, which detects movement and sends alerts when you’re not home. Thanks to the two-way audio system, you can communicate with people. It also has a privacy mode, which can shut the camera when you don’t want the video feed recorded.
You can also store video feed onboard the device with an SD memory card of up to 256 GB, which roughly amounts to over 512 hours of footage. While it can be used for outdoor security, it’s not weatherproof.
- 3 MP HD camera
- High-quality infrared night vision
- Multiple resolution options, including 1080p and 2K
- 114-degree tilt, 360-degree panorama
- Motion sensor
- WiFi connectivity
- Onboard storage with a memory card
- Two-way audio
- Trigger light and sound effects
2. Xiaomi Mi 360 Home Security Camera 2K Pro
The Xiaomi Mi 360 Home Security Camera is an affordable, modern camera with WiFi connectivity and 2K HD resolution. Known for its accessible electronics, the Chinese brand offers all the necessary features you could ask for in this security camera. It also features two-way audio, so you can use the camera to communicate with people at your door.
It is ideal for indoor use and provides a 360-degree view, so it can be installed in the living room to view your entire apartment or home. Installation is quick and easy and can be set up with the mobile app wirelessly. However, a cord connection is required for power.
The design is clean and minimalistic, so the camera blends into the background seamlessly. It has infrared night vision with a 940 nm fill light to record feed even in the dark. All features, like AI-based face recognition, can be set up through the app. The camera lens can be shut off when you don’t want to use the camera.
- 2K HD resolution
- 360-degree panorama
- F1.4 large aperture
- Two-way audio
- Night vision
- Dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Physical shield
- On-screen live feed with the Mi Home app
- H.265 video encoding technology that saves space
- Standard and inverted mounting
3. Arlo Pro 5 2K Spotlight Wire-Free Security Camera
The Arlo Pro 5 2K Spotlight Wire-Free Security Camera is an advanced, compact home security solution with incredibly clear footage. It has a 160-degree view, which is made wider and better with image correction technology. The built-in spotlight activates in case of intruders.
Its night vision capability has colour, unlike most security cameras that record nighttime footage in black and white. With the help of the Arlo app, you can set up alerts for when people or packages are at your door. You can also set up a siren to scare away intruders and alert neighbours.
It’s a wireless camera that uses rechargeable batteries, so there are no unappealing wire connections. You need an Arlo Secure subscription for video storage and features like a security siren. Overall, it’s a high-quality, inconspicuous camera that can be used at home or office premises to prop up security.
- 2K HD resolution with a 160-degree view
- Colour night vision
- Dual-band WiFi connectivity
- Motion sensor alerts
- Rechargeable batteries with magnetic charging cable
- Built-in spotlight
- Arlo Security subscription option
- Weather protection
- 24/7 video verification (only with subscription)
- 12-month warranty
4. HIKVision DS-2CE56D0T-IRF Dome Security Camera
The HIKVision DS-2CE56D0T-IRF Dome Security Camera is a sturdy, water-resistant security camera with a 2 MP camera. While affordable, it packs in most essential you’ll also find on high-end security cameras, including advanced motion detection and high-quality night vision.
As a dome/turret security camera, it’s installed on the ceiling and offers a 90-degree view. While you can adjust the angle, you may have to install multiple of these to achieve a 360-degree view simultaneously. Designed to be used in homes and offices, it has a 30 FPS feed. There’s a slot for a microSD card (up to 128 GB). The night vision works even in extremely low light conditions, offering visibility up to 20 metres.
It also has power over ethernet (PoE) support, so you don’t need a separate power cord. You can set up alerts for motion detection so any activity is reported automatically. It’s a more conventional security camera that lacks WiFi connectivity. However, it still gets the job done.
- 2 MP camera
- 30 FPS footage
- Memory card storage
- PoE connection
- IP66 water-resistant
- Night vision
- Field of view 90 degrees
- Network-attached storage (NAS) support
5. D-Link DCS-6500LH HD Pan & Tilt Security Camera
The D-Link DCS-6500LH HD Pan & Tilt Security Camera has a three-year warranty. D-Link, an award-winning Taiwanese brand, produces high-quality home equipment. It’s an IP camera offering 1080p HD resolution footage. It also has helpful features like motion and sound detection, which can be useful when you’re away from home.
As a pan-and-tilt camera, it offers a 360-degree view field to surveil every corner of your home or building. The infrared night vision works up to 5 metres. Its motion sensor also has an auto-track feature, which means it follows the movement automatically, panning as the person/object moves. You can also integrate it with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant in smart homes.
Footage can be stored in a microSD card of up to 256 GB. However, it also comes with a free one-year subscription to cloud storage. Other notable features include biometric authentication. It also supports WPA3 encryption for further security of the live video feed.
- 1080p HD video
- Pan and tilt (360 degrees panoramic views)
- Night vision
- Built-in microphone and speaker
- Sound and motion detection with auto track of motion
- Cloud recording
- External memory card storage