5 Best Singapore’s Bakeries for Freshly Baked Bread and Pastry
Eat & Drink | June 23, 2017
What can be better than the aroma of freshly baked bread and pastry wafting in the air? In the old days, some love their hot bread so much that they had to run into a local bakery and waited for a new batch of baked goods to come.
If you want to enjoy those buttery beauties with the same eagerness, visit a bakery in this list and give your inner child the right to choose an item that make her/his eyes twinkle.
- A real bakery heaven: We call it bakery heaven because of its vast selection of baked products, all at good quality. Prepared to be impressed by the quantity and quality of the breads, pastries, pies, quiches and sandwiches on offer at this bakery.
- Home to some of the best bread in town: If you are in search of the best places to buy bread, make your way to Artisan Boulangerie Co. You can find there from baguettes to bagels, pretzels, challah, pave, olive bread, muesli bread, sourdough, rye bread, cinnamon loaf and banana loaf. To many people, this bakery’s sourdough, baguettes and challah is something to die for.
- More than just bakery: You can find there a café as well. It is a great place to grab full English and French breakfast. If Asian morning foods are a bit heavy and too savoury for your liking, then a fluffy, crispy and sweet French loaves or pastries might be a game changer. And Artisan Boulangerie does offer a wide variety of breakfast items such as Eggs Benedict, ABC Big Breakfast, and Omelette. The serving is big enough to power your day!
- Croissants taste as good as in Paris: Buttery and flaky crusts, light to airy insides, and morning-like freshness, croissants by this bake shop are at par with the ones served in Paris. The flour itself is imported from France, so the bread is well-baked overall. Sample the plain and almond croissants as they win the hearts of the many here.
- Kouign-amann for those who miss it… always: Probably, your Euro tour had introduced you to this Breton cake. And back in Singapore, you’re having a withdrawal. Drop by at Tiong Bahru Bakery to fix this craving and experience this puffy and sweet pastry once more.
- Common Man coffee to complement the pastries: Breakfast is not complete without a cuppa of your favourite coffee. The beans are from the Common Man, a group of artisanal coffee brewers from Australia and Singapore. Flat whites and espresso are commonly paired with baguettes and croissants.
- Interesting sandwich section: A unique addition to the traditional French pastries and sweets are those open faced sandwiches. There are rocket, squid ink, smoked salmon, among many other favourites. The size is good enough for one person, but freshness of the bun and delectable ingredients might leave you wanting for more.
- Freshly baked sweet treats and exciting savoury delights: Gorge on a delightful range of delicious, home-made desserts such as cakes, tarts and meringues along with light bites of quiche and brioche. Top these delights with heart-warming cappuccinos and lattes or relax with a dainty pot of tea. Best café experience is guaranteed all the way!
- Scrumptious tarts at only S$ 6.50 for each: If you are a tart fan, you will be mesmerized by a delightful range of tarts offered here. Every piece is a gem in itself and packs a punch with crispy, buttery shell topped by melt-in-your mouth creamy fillings. Passion fruit meringue tart and Lemon cream tart are two stand-out flavours that simply leave you craving for more.
- A range of irresistible retail goodies to take home for yourself or gift these to your friends. Whether it is their incredibly delicious and fresh homemade jams in wonderful flavours (raspberry and lemongrass, sea salt caramel and creme de cassis & Pinot Noir) or granola, biscuits and marshmallows, these tuckbox goodies are a sheer delight to indulge in.
- Bagels – Simply the best in its league. The bagels here are quite softer than usual so it won’t give anyone a hard time chewing it into pieces just like how bakers do it in New York. Like the classic pretzels, the dough has some saltiness to it contrasting the sweet additions that may come with it. The bagels come in different flavours depending on the chef’s menu special.
- Salmon Quiche for the meat lovers: Brunch can’t just pass by without meat whether it’s red or lean. Baker & Cook’s has got one of the best salmon quiches in the country that it gives bagels and croissants a tough competition. Served with tomato salad and feta, the salmon quiche has a flaky crush that held the egg filling, salmon, and spices well.
- Lots of colourful desserts, with lemon tart as a special mention: Eat light so you can still have some space for this tangy and sour dessert. The bakery’s lemon tart is a crowd favourite for its flaky crust, buttery taste, and balanced tanginess. The curd itself is smooth, thick, and fluid, showing how well-baked it is and perfectly done.
- Delicious range of fresh breads: You will fall in love with amazing variety of their gorgeous, pick-me-up breads with light fluffy textures. The crusty, fragrant loaves of whole meal bread, ciabatta, cranberry bread, baguette and incredibly delicious walnut raisin loaf are some of the best-tasting breads ever– with a taste so fresh and compelling that you will keep coming back for more.
- Delectable, wholesome sandwiches are so juicy and so bursting at seams with yummy fillings that picking one masterpiece will be no easy feat. Going by the popular choice, BLT sandwich is a clear winner with bacon with lettuce, tomato and avocado on the whole meal bread – a combination so refreshingly delicious. Ham and Cheese and Smoked Salmon are some other gourmet choices to warm your bellies and indulge your cravings for heavenly sandwiches.
- Heartwarming delicious brunches at very affordable rates: With three brunches sets to choose from (ranging from S$ 9.90 to 12.90), lazy weekend brunches will never be the same again. Whether it is Smoked salmon served with emmental cheese, soft scrambled eggs and olive oil bread or the Burger bap topped with deli corned beef and served with baked beans – the sumptuous platters have all the right ingredients to make your heart sing.
- Excellent sweet delights to end your meals on a sweet note. Their Crunchy Salted Caramel Choc Mousse Tart with a crumbly, buttery tart base and crunchy chocolate balls will be a perfect excuse to pamper your cravings for something sweet after an indulgent brunch. You can also try their warm Cranberry Scone with a crumbly exterior waiting to unveil the moist, buttery core. Served with lip-smacking homemade jam and butter, it is another sweet gem from their treasure box.
Frequently Asked Questions about Singapore
Eat & Drink
You may also like