5 Best Old-school Pubs in Singapore for a Dose of Nostalgia
Eat & Drink |
June 21, 2017
Although the world of old-school bars and clubs have been quickly replaced by modern-sleek lit-up contemporary spots, some of us still crave the ambience of a snug, classic pub for a nostalgic pint of ice-cold beer.
Fear not, Singaporeans! Old-school traditional spots are still in business, and are extremely popular for the ultimate authentic day/night break. Time-travel to the top 5 old-school pubs in Singapore, and engross yourself in the antiquity and traditional ambience. You’re bound to find a new Sunday favorite!
- English-inspired authentic pub overlooking the river: Enjoy the fabulous view of the Singapore river as you drink a pint of draught beer in the quayside seating area. Feeling a bit too hot? Head inside to the air-conditioned English-inspired Victorian tavern and continue your gathering there. Penny Black has it all! From the dark-brown high tables and chairs, to the walls lined with cold-beer on tap and wooden signs, you will feel like you are in the middle of Oxford Street, drinking a pint of cold Guinness with your mates. If you’re feeling like a little grub, opt for the infamous fish ‘n’ chips with mushy peas to enjoy cultural classics.
- Exclusive sports events to cheer with a pint of beer: Dying to watch your game in a pub-setting? Visit Penny Black’s website for a frequently updated list of sports events hosted in their bar. Watch the Australian Open on the large screens, and cheer on with your pub-mates as your favorite team scores a goal.
- Private parties and functions for reservation: Love Penny Black and would love to host an event here? Whether it’s a business lunch, birthday party or engagement, Penny Black will customize the place to suit your needs! Enjoy a personalized menu, complimentary use of audio and visual equipment, and an unbeatable atmosphere for an event no one will ever forget!
- Traditional homey Irish grub: You’ll be spoilt for choice with this incredibly delicious grub menu. Stopping by on a Monday? Enjoy the infamous daily special of Dublin coddle served with freshly baked soda bread. Coming for breakfast? Fill up on a hearty traditional Irish breakfast, and you’ll proudly carry a food-baby until dinner. Try out some of the nation’s favorite dishes, from Bangers and Mash to a classic Sunday roast. There is something for everyone on this menu.
- Vivacious ambience like no other: What makes an Irish pub so popular in today’s world? Once you step into this pub, you will know why the Irish are notoriously known as the world’s biggest drinkers. Molly’s is always filled with lively and interesting characters, quickly turning into a community. You can sing your heart out, dance the night away and not feel embarrassed in the slightest. That’s the true beauty of a classic, energetic Irish pub.
- Private areas for any festivity: Rent out one of their 3 floors to suit any group size and any occasion. Whether it’s a small gathering of 20, or a massive one with 100 folks, Molly’s is the place to be. Email them or give them a quick call, and they will be very happy to accommodate you!
- German beer haven and signature eats: Germans are beer artists! Quench that thirst with a fresh-brew, and try all their 5 unique beer creations: Lager, Dunkel, Charcoal, Aromatic and Lychee. Not sure which one to pick? Try them all for only $20! Feast on some classic wings, signature pork belly or traditional pork Knuckle while you’re at it!
- Happy Hour Promo for unbeatable offers: Enjoy a 2L Starker Beer and 2 snacks for $60! For more promos, check out their website to never miss a deal!
- Imported unique drinks for an authentic Irish night: Drink like a local Irishman, with imported Kilkenny beer, Guinness, Heineken and Bushmills Whiskey. With happy hour from 12-9, you will not want to leave this place! Enjoy 2-3 dollars off every drink during happy hour, and fill up on your favorite beer. Students can enjoy a house pour spirit for just $6.
- Beautifully modern menu with a plethora of traditional Irish dishes: Hungry for some pub-grub? Make your pick from the exhaustive menu, filled with amazing flavors of the Irish. Try out the fresh Fisherman’s Stew, or Guinness and Oxtail Pie for a truly unique experience! Satisfy your sweet tooth with bread and butter pudding, freshly baked and topped with the infamous whiskey sauce.
- Nightly live entertainment and broadcasts of all sports events: With nightly live music from local bands, you will never feel bored in Molly Roffey’s! Stop by and watch your favorite live soccer game with the boys, or hang out with the girls on ladie’s night.
- All things comedy and contagious live music: This vibrant bar is everything but boring. With unique everyday events, you can pretty much spend every night here and experience something different every 24 hours. Dance away to some of the best local live music acts, laugh your heart out at the hilarious stand-up comedy, or catch your favorite game on the large HD screens. Check out their website to see what’s on during the week, stop by and enjoy your night. You won’t regret it!
- Delicious and budget friendly dishes: Enjoy 2 juicy, mouthwatering burgers for the price of one on Mondays, or a traditional roast on Saturdays and Sundays for a homey meal. Or try out some of the classic dishes created by Chef Derek Flynn, such as the Beef & Guinness Puff Pastry Pie, Atlantic Salmon or Full Irish Breakfast to satisfy that stomach. Up for a challenge? Brace yourself, and try to finish the 32-ounce burger in 32 minutes! If you manage to stomach this monstrous burger in 32 minutes, you get it for free!
- Happy-hours like no others: Their ‘Happier hours”, which is really extensive on Wed (17:00 to 00:00), Thu (17:00 to 22:00) and Sun (15:00 to 22:00) make the pub an ideal place to drink all night long without burning the wallet.
We recommend for you
Eat & Drink
You may also like
Frequently Asked Questions about Singapore