Nowadays, Botox has become a common medical term that most people understand. You may have heard of celebrities who had Botox injections to maintain their youthful appearance.
It is the treatment you might want to have if are worried about wrinkles and fine lines on your face or neck.
To help you come up with the best decision regarding your Botox treatment, we have prepared this guide that contains useful information about getting a Botox treatment in Singapore.
Also included are our recommendations for the 5 best clinics in Singapore for Botox injection. Read on to know more.
WHAT IS BOTOX?
Botox comes from Botulinom toxin, a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It is deadly in high doses, but in its concentrated form, it is safe to use for medical and cosmetic purposes.
WHAT CAN BOTOX INJECTION HELP?
Botox can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles in the face and neck. It is also used to treat certain medical conditions like hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), eyelid spasms, migraine, and overactive bladder.
WHERE ARE THE SUITABLE TREATMENT AREAS?
Suitable treatment areas for Botox include the forehead, eyebrows, frown lines, corner of the eyes (crow’s feet), nose bridge (bunny lines), around the mouth, jawline, chin, neck, and armpits (for sweat control).
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A TREATMENT?
The treatment area is first numbed with ice or cream. Then, the Botox is injected to the target area. The whole procedure takes 10-30 minutes.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT BOTOX BRANDS IN SINGAPORE?
While Botox is the term generally used for this type of treatment, it is also a registered brand that was the first to be approved and used worldwide. Other brands available in Singapore are Dysport and Xeomin.
WHEN IS THE RESULT VISIBLE?
Noticeable results can be seen within 24 hours after the injection. It takes approximately 2 weeks to see the full effect.
WHO IS SUITABLE FOR BOTOX INJECTION?
Botox injection is suitable for patients who are 18 years old and above and who want to get rid of wrinkles in their face and neck. It is also helpful for those who have the following medical conditions:
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Eyelid spasms
- Chronic migraine
- Overactive bladder
- Upper limb spasticity
- Cervical dystonia
IS BOTOX TREATMENT PAINFUL?
Like most injections, a Botox injection can be likened to an ant bite. However, the pain could differ depending on the patient’s pain tolerance. Typically, an ice pack or numbing cream is used to lessen the pain. Anaesthetics can also be used if needed.
IS BOTOX TREATMENT SAFE?
Botox treatments are generally safe as long as the brands used are FDA and HSA approved, and if the procedure is performed by a trained and licensed professional.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Each treatment lasts for 3 to 6 months. You need to go back for regular treatments if you want to stay wrinkle-free for a long period.
HOW MUCH DOES BOTOX COST IN SINGAPORE?
A Botox unit costs from $12 to $25, depending on the brand used.
A treatment often requires from 4 to 80 units, depending on the area treated.
In Singapore, Botox treatments are often charged by area.
The below table shows the estimated units and costs needed for various areas.
8 – 25 units
$96 – $625
8 – 20 units
$96 – $500
Crow’s feet lines
8 – 20 units
$96 – $500
5 – 10 units
$60 – $250
4 – 8 units
$48 – $200
4 – 8 units
$48 – $200
4 – 8 units
$48 – $200
40 – 80 units
$480 – $2000
WHERE TO HAVE BOTOX TREATMENT IN SINGAPORE?
Listed below are the best clinics in Singapore to get Botox treatments.
Abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures in the world.
Whether you are a mother who just gave birth or somebody who just lost a lot of weight, you might have excess fat and loose skin in your abdomen that you are itching to get rid of. Your reason for getting a tummy tuck could also be non-aesthetic like improving muscle strength in your abdomen.
If you are considering getting a tummy tuck in Singapore, then you have come to the right article!
This simple guide will help you learn more information about abdominoplasty like surgery cost, types of surgery procedures, and whether or not you are a suitable candidate for a tummy tuck.
We also included a list of 5 best clinics for tummy tuck in Singapore. Hope that this article will help you come up with a decision that could change your life.
WHAT IS ABDOMINOPLASTY?
Abdominoplasty, more commonly known as a tummy tuck, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that removes excess fat and skin from your abdomen and tightens your abdominal muscles.
WHAT CAN ABDOMINOPLASTY HELP?
Abdominoplasty can help enhance the appearance of your tummy, making it look flatter and giving it better contour. It also improves core muscle strength in your abdomen.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF ABDOMINOPLASTY?
There are 5 types of abdominoplasty.
- Full abdominoplasty: The incision goes from hip to hip and around the navel.
- Partial abdominoplasty: The incision is shorter and the healing time is faster.
- Lipo-abdominoplasty: Combination of standard abdominoplasty and liposuction
- Extended tummy tuck: Excess skin from the sides and back are also removed. The incision is much wider and the healing time takes longer.
- Reverse tummy tuck: The incision is made below the breast to remove excess fat and skin from the upper abdomen.
WHO IS SUITABLE FOR TUMMY TUCK SURGERY?
You are a suitable candidate for a tummy tuck if you:
- Just gave birth
- Lost a lot of weight
- Have loose skin in the abdomen
- Have weak abdominal muscles
In addition, your weight should be stable 12 months before the procedure and you should have no existing medical conditions that could complicate the surgery.
IS TUMMY TUCK A TOOL TO LOSE WEIGHT?
No, abdominoplasty is not a tool to lose weight. It is only a way to contour your abdomen and improve your abdominal muscle strength.
WHAT IS THE SURGICAL COST OF TUMMY TUCK IN SINGAPORE?
The price range for a tummy tuck in Singapore is S$10,000 to S$30,000, depending on the type of tummy tuck performed.
HOW IS THE TOTAL COST OF TUMMY TUCK CALCULATED?
The total cost for a tummy tuck in Singapore can be broken down as follows:
- Surgery fee – depends on the type of tummy tuck based on your surgeon’s evaluation and recommendation.
- Anaesthesia fee – The majority of tummy tucks use general anaesthesia. This also depends on the duration of the surgery.
- Facility fees – This depends on the hospital and the duration of your confinement.
- Post-surgery expenses – After the surgery, you might need to spend on pain medications, scar creams, or physiotherapy.
WHERE TO GET A TUMMY TUCK IN SINGAPORE?
Tummy tucks can only be done by a duly licensed plastic surgeon in an accredited medical facility. Below is a list of our recommended clinics for tummy tuck in Singapore.
Hair loss is one of the consequences of aging. For some, hair loss could be an adverse effect of a certain illness or medication.
There are many options available in Singapore to address hair loss. If you are looking for a permanent solution, why not go for a hair transplant?
For those who are planning to get a hair transplant, this article can help you come up with a more informed decision.
Read on to learn more details about hair transplants and relevant information about the best clinics for hair transplant in Singapore.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF HAIR LOSS?
The symptoms of hair loss can vary depending on the underlying cause. Common symptoms include receding hairline, continuous thinning of hair, abrupt loosening of hair, and appearance of bald spots.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF HAIR LOSS IN SINGAPORE?
Hair loss is often caused by the following factors:
- Genetics – Certain hormones in your body can affect your hair follicles negatively.
- Medicinal side effects – Certain drugs used to treat cancer, heart problem, high blood pressure, and depression can lead to hair loss.
- Poor diet – Vitamin and mineral deficiency can cause hair loss
- Stress – Physical and emotional stress can lead to thinning of your hair.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF HAIR TRANSPLANT IN SINGAPORE?
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT): A strip of skin with hair follicles is taken from the donor area. Hair grafts are then separated and inserted into the target area. This procedure leaves a scar at the site where the strip of skin was taken.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): Individual hair follicles are harvested from the donor area and transplanted to the hair loss section. This procedure takes longer to perform but leaves no scar and heals faster.
WHAT TYPE OF HAIR TRANSPLANT IS MORE POPULAR IN SINGAPORE?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) has become more popular in Singapore and is often requested by hair transplant patients.
WHO IS SUITABLE FOR FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION (FUE)?
You are a suitable candidate for Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) if you meet the following criteria:
- You have no existing medical condition that may complicate the procedure.
- You have a healthy donor site with viable hair follicles.
- You have healthy blood vessels in the hair loss area.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS OF FUE HAIR TRANSPLANT?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Transplant follows these steps:
- Injection of a local anaesthetic to the harvest area
- Punching of incisions around the hair follicles using a pen-like tool
- Extraction of follicular units
- Preparation of hair grafts for transplant
- Preparation of transplant area
- Insertion of hair grafts in the transplant area
- Cleaning and bandaging of scalp
HOW MANY GRAFTS WILL I NEED?
The Hamilton-Norwood Scale is used to classify the severity of hair loss and to estimate the number of hair grafts needed for transplant. Hair transplants can require between 500 to 3,600 hair grafts.
HOW LONG WILL A HAIR TRANSPLANT PROCEDURE TAKE?
Hair transplant procedures can take 4 to 8 hours.
WHEN WILL THE RESULTS BE VISIBLE?
Results of successful hair transplants can be visible after 9 months to 1 year after the procedure.
IS THE HAIR TRANSPLANT PROCESS PAINFUL?
A local anaesthetic is used so you will not feel any pain. After the transplant, you may feel discomfort and your scalp may be swollen.
IS THE HAIR TRANSPLANT RESULTS PERMANENT?
Hair transplants are permanent. However, this may not be the case if your doctor did not insert your hair grafts deep enough or did not properly anchor your hair implants.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS OF FUE TREATMENT IN SINGAPORE?
The cost of your hair transplant depends on the severity of hair loss and the number of grafts needed for treatment. The average price per graft is $5.
Below is the estimated cost if one needs:
- 1,000 grafts: $5,000
- 2,000 grafts: $10,000
- 3,000 grafts: $15,000
Additional costs include:
- Consultation: S$50 to S$100
- Medication: S$50 to S$200
- Post-surgery review: S$50 to S$100 per session
Your total bill can fall between S$5,150 and S$15,400
WHERE TO HAVE HAIR TRANSPLANT IN SINGAPORE?
Listed below are the top aesthetic clinics to get hair transplant in Singapore.
Rhinoplasty is among the top 5 cosmetic surgeries worldwide.
In Asia, where most people are born with a less aesthetically pleasing nose, rhinoplasty has become one of the most sought-after plastic surgery procedures.
If you are one of those who wish to restructure your nose for aesthetic or medical purposes, you have come to the right article! We have prepared a guide for you to learn more about rhinoplasty in general and to choose your right clinic among the best in Singapore.
WHAT IS RHINOPLASTY?
Rhinoplasty, more familiarly known as a nose job, is a type of plastic surgery done to enhance the appearance of the nose, correct deformities, or improve nasal function.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF RHINOPLASTY?
There are two common types of rhinoplasty.
Open rhinoplasty entails creating an incision at the columella, the tissue at the base of the nose between the nostrils, and opening up the skin to provide better access to the nasal structure.
In closed rhinoplasty, the incision is created inside the nostrils, thus, leaving no visible scar.
WHAT ARE THE MATERIALS USED IN RHINOPLASTY?
- Silicone – A synthetic material that is the most commonly used implants for rhinoplasty
- Gore-Tex – Synthetic material similar to silicone that has pores to allow integration of the tissue
- Own Tissue (Autologous) – Tissue from your own cartilage is harvested for use in the surgery.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON RHINOPLASTY PROCEDURES IN SINGAPORE?
The following are the most common requested types of rhinoplasty procedure in Singapore:
- Asian Rhinoplasty – Augments flat and wide noses that are common among Asians to make the nose look higher.
- Reduction Rhinoplasty – Reduces the size of certain parts of the nose to make it appear smaller or narrower.
- Male Rhinoplasty – Enhances the nose to make it appear stronger and sharper that matches the common facial features among men.
- Hooked Nose Excision – Smoothens a protrusion or hump of a hooked nose
- Long Nose Correction – Corrects a lengthy nose to make it match the facial features of the patient.
- Revision Rhinoplasty – A secondary procedure to correct a bad nose job or to address issues resulting from a previous surgery
WHO IS SUITABLE FOR RHINOPLASTY?
You are a suitable candidate for rhinoplasty if you are above 18 years old with no known existing medical issues and if you have any of the following:
- Dorsal hump or a bump at the bridge of the nose
- Too wide or too narrow nose
- Asymmetrical nose
- Prominent nasal tip that is not proportionate to your face
- Drooping nasal tip
- Nasal airway issues
- Post-traumatic nasal deformity
IS RHINOPLASTY PAINFUL?
Anaesthesia is used during the surgery, so the patient will not feel any pain. Pain and swelling may be experienced for one week after surgery, but this can be addressed with pain medications.
ARE THERE ANY NON-SURGICAL ALTERNATIVES TO RHINOPLASTY?
Patients have the option to go for non-surgical alternatives to rhinoplasty that use fillers or threads. However, these procedures are not permanent and only recommended for minor nose restructuring.
WHAT IS THE COST OF RHINOPLASTY IN SINGAPORE?
Rhinoplasty in Singapore costs between S$3,000 and S$25,000 depending on the complexity and duration of the procedure.
A simple implant can cost from S$3,000 to S$5,000.
Hybrid procedures that use implants and harvested tissue can cost from S$8,000 to $15,000.
A total autologous rhinoplasty requires a hospital stay and can cost you from S$15,000 to S$25,000.
WHERE TO HAVE RHINOPLASTY IN SINGAPORE?
You can have the nose job safely done at an aesthetic clinic by a MOH accredited doctors. Find your right clinic and surgeon below.
Liposuction is one of the most common cosmetic procedures in the world. No wonder you have heard about it many times.
If you are among those who need a safe body contouring surgery in Singapore, look no further! This guide will provide you with the answers to your basic questions about liposuction.
To further help you choose your clinic or surgeon, we also included our recommendations on the best clinics in Singapore for liposuction.
WHAT IS LIPOSUCTION TREATMENT?
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery procedure to remove fat from specific parts of the body through suction.
WHAT TYPES OF LIPOSUCTION ARE AVAILABLE IN SINGAPORE?
There are 3 common types of liposuction available in Singapore. These are:
- VASER Liposuction – Ultrasound waves are used to liquefy or break up the fat cells before they are extracted from the body.
- Laser Liposuction – Laser is used to melt the fat before extraction.
- Tumescent Liposuction – A medical solution is injected into the target area to allow better control in contouring the body.
WHO IS SUITABLE FOR LIPOSUCTION?
To be a viable candidate for liposuction, you must meet the following criteria:
- Within 30% of your ideal weight
- Have good muscle tone and firm skin
- No underlying medical conditions or life-threatening illness
ARE LIPOSUCTION RESULTS PERMANENT?
The fat cells that are removed through liposuction are expelled permanently from your body. However, new fat cells can grow if you start regaining weight.
HOW MUCH DOES LIPOSUCTION COST IN SINGAPORE?
In Singapore, liposuction charges range from $1,500 to $3,000 for each body part getting treatment.
A body contouring procedure done by a plastic surgeon in Singapore often involves a minimum of 5 different body parts. For that reason, the total cost of a liposuction treatment roughly costs from S$15,000 to S$25,000.
HOW IS THE LIPOSUCTION COST CALCULATED?
If you undergo liposuction, the total cost of the procedure will include:
- Professional fees (surgeon and anaesthesiologist)
- Anaesthesia cost
- Operating room fee
- Laboratory fees
- Cost of post-surgery compression garments
- Medication costs
WHAT AFFECTS THE COST OF LIPOSUCTION?
The final cost of your liposuction procedure is determined by the following factors:
- Length of the procedure – The more body parts that need treatment, the longer it will take to complete the liposuction, driving the cost higher.
- Types of liposuction procedure – Different types of treatments have different costs. For example, VASER liposuction, which is often preferred by patients in Singapore, costs more than the other methods.
- Surgeon’s experience – Surgeons with more experience and training tend to charge more than newer doctors.
WHERE CAN THE LIPOSUCTION TAKE PLACE?
Liposuction can be done in a clinic for patients who only need a minimal amount of fat removed. Procedures that involve more than 100ml of fat need to be conducted at a hospital or an ambulatory surgery centre. A hospital stay is required if more than 2 litres of fat will be removed.
WHERE TO GET LIPOSUCTION IN SINGAPORE?
Listed below are the best plastic surgery clinics with the most experienced surgeons for liposuction. They are all MOH accredited practitioners.
Many Asians are born with no eyelid folds. In some Asian countries, this is considered a deformity.
This explains the popularity of double eyelid surgery in Asia. The procedure is sometimes even called Asian Blepharoplasty. Of course, there are more serious physical conditions that require eyelid surgery such as blocked vision due to droopy eyelids.
If you are among the millions of Asians who wish to have that coveted upper eyelid crease, here is an informative guide to help you choose the right double eyelid surgery clinic for you.
This article contains helpful information about the ins and outs of blepharoplasty as well as a list of the top recommended clinics in Singapore for double eyelid surgery.
WHAT IS DOUBLE EYELID SURGERY?
Double eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure to form a crease in the upper eyelid. This is often done to accentuate the eyes or to correct droopy eyelids.
WHAT ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DOUBLE EYELID SURGERY IN SINGAPORE?
There are two main types of double eyelid surgery technique available in Singapore. These are suture blepharoplasty and incisional blepharoplasty.
Comparison of Suture and Incisional Blepharoplasty
Suture Incisional Purpose Creation of eyelid fold for patients with no excess skin or fat in the upper eyelid Removal of excess upper eyelid skin or fat
Correction of ptosis or droopy eyelids
Suitable for Young patients All age groups Scar No scar Faint scar Duration 15 – 30 minutes 45 – 60 minutes Post-surgery symptoms Mild swelling
Suture removal None 1 week post-surgery Recovery period 1 – 2 weeks 2 – 4 weeks Effect duration Less permanent
WHO ARE SUITABLE FOR DOUBLE EYELID SURGERY?
Double eyelid surgery is suitable for the following candidates:
- Patients who have no eyelid fold
- Patients with excessively droopy eyelids that obstruct vision
- Patients with excess eyelid fat that cause puffy eyelids
- Patients who have unmatched eyelids (1 single and 1 double)
WHAT IS THE COST OF DOUBLE EYELID SURGERY IN SINGAPORE?
Double eyelid surgery in Singapore usually costs S$3,200 to S$3,500 for the suture method and S$3.800 to S$4,500 for the incision method.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECOVER FROM DOUBLE EYELID SURGERY?
The recovery period for double eyelid surgery usually takes 2 to 4 weeks. Suture surgery patients heal faster compared to those who had incisional surgery.
WHERE TO HAVE DOUBLE EYELID SURGERY IN SINGAPORE?
Listed below are the top plastic surgery clinics in Singapore where you can get the reliable double eyelid surgery service.
Asian women are typically less endowed compared to Latinas or Westerners when it comes to breast size. This is why medical interventions have become popular in Asian countries like Korea, Japan, and Singapore.
If you are considering having your breasts enhanced, here is a helpful guide to aid you in your decision and help you choose among the best clinics for breast augmentation in Singapore.
This guide contains essential information that you need to know before going under the knife.
WHAT ARE THE TRENDS IN BREAST AUGMENTATION IN SINGAPORE?
In the past, women who sought breast augmentation went for bigger boobs as these were considered more attractive.
However, in recent years, a more natural look has become more preferred among beauty seekers.
Doctors also recommend that the augmented breast size should match the overall physique of the patient.
WHAT IS BREAST AUGMENTATION?
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgical procedure that aims to enhance the size or change the shape and texture of a woman’s breasts. This is done either through breast implants or fat transfer.
WHAT IS FAT TRANSFER?
Fat transfer is a breast enhancing procedure that involves removing fat from other parts of the patient’s body and transferring it to the breast.
This method is suitable for patients who do not need a drastic increase in breast size. It is also an excellent way to remove excess fats from your body!
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BREAST IMPLANTS IN SINGAPORE?
There are two types of breast implants available in Singapore: silicone-filled implants and saline-filled implants.
Silicone implants are made of plastic gels in silicone casings.
On the other hand, saline implants are silicone casings filled with saline solution or sterilized salt water.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT SHAPES OF BREAST IMPLANT?
Breast implants can be round or teardrop-shaped.
Round implants make your breasts appear fuller and are less likely to move out of place.
Teardrop-shaped implants look firmer and more natural.
WHAT IMPLANT SHAPE AND SIZE ARE USUALLY CHOSEN BY PATIENTS IN SINGAPORE?
Teardrop-shaped silicone-filled implant is the most popular choice among breast augmentation patients in Singapore.
Compared to saline-filled implants, silicone implants feel more natural and are less prone to wrinkling.
As for size, it is not advisable to go beyond 2 cup sizes for breast enhancement.
WHAT ARE THE BRANDS OF BREAST IMPLANTS AVAILABLE IN SINGAPORE?
There are 3 popular brands of breast implants that are commonly available in Singapore. These are Motiva, Mentor, and Natrelle.
WHAT TYPES OF INCISIONS ARE USED IN BREAST AUGMENTATION IN SINGAPORE?
Depending on the kind of implant and the body shape of the patient, breast implants can be inserted through four types of incisions:
- Trans-axillary incision or through the armpit
- Periareolar incision or through the areola
- Inframammary incision or through the breast’s base
- Trans-umbilical incision or through the navel area
HOW BIG IS THE SCAR FROM BREAST AUGMENTATION?
The length of the scar after breast augmentation varies depending on the size of the implant and the type of incision that was performed. These can be between 3 to 4.5 centimetres long.
WHAT TYPES OF ANAESTHESIA ARE OFTEN USED DURING BREAST AUGMENTATION IN SINGAPORE?
Patients can choose between 3 types of anaesthesia during the procedure.
Local anaesthesia is used to numb only the breast area while the patient stays awake.
General anaesthesia puts you to sleep throughout the surgery.
Sedation can be characterized as mild general anaesthesia where patients retain consciousness while in a very sleepy state but do not feel pain.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET RECOVERED FROM BREAST AUGMENTATION?
Full recovery from breast augmentation takes about 2 to 4 weeks.
You can go home right after surgery and go back to the clinic for stitch removal after 2 weeks.
You can already start doing non-strenuous tasks within 3 days after the procedure.
HOW MUCH DOES BREAST AUGMENTATION COST IN SINGAPORE?
Breast augmentation cost often ranges from $10,000 to $16,000.
HOW IS THE BREAST AUGMENTATION COST CALCULATED?
Breast augmentation cost is made up of different types of costs. The below table shows the charges often seen in a typical breast augmentation bill.
Fees Amount Consultation $200+ Anaesthesia $1,800+ Breast implants $2000+ Breast implant procedure $8000+ Day surgery facilities use $1000+ Breast band $200+ Medications $200+ Total $13,400+
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING A CLINIC IN SINGAPORE FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION?
The most important thing to consider when choosing a clinic for breast augmentation is the accreditation of the cosmetic surgeon. Make sure that your doctor has a proper license if you don’t want to end up with an unlicensed practice surgeon.
It also helps to read up on feedback from past patients.
Here are the 5 best clinics in Singapore for breast augmentation.
It is time to go for an STD check-up if there is any symptom at the genital part. No symptoms at all? Screening is still needed if you are in a new sexual relationship or have had casual sex.
SDC is the clinic to book an appointment if cost is your concern. This subsidised clinic offers a full range of STD test at affordable prices.
Too shy to engage service at an STD specialised institution? No worries! There are alternatives. At those places called “family clinics” where family planning and pregnancy caring are on offer, the STD screening is often available.
In our list, you will find both the specialised and the alternative options.
It is not easy for someone to make up her mind to get an abortion. But if that is the best solution in the individual’s circumstances, Singapore’s Obstetrics and Gynaecology doctors are always ready to help.
WHO CAN UNDERGO ABORTION IN SINGAPORE?
It is legal for Singapore citizens of all ages to have an abortion. Foreigners who have been in Singapore for at least 4 months can also undergo the abortion procedure.
IS COUNSELLING MANDATORY?
Yes. Abortion counselling and watching of a video on the topic are mandatory.
Both medical and surgical abortion can only take place at least 48 hours after the counselling. This 48-hour gap is there as the “thinking time”, giving women a chance to withdraw if there is a change of mind.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ABORTION?
There are two main types of abortion: medical abortion and surgical abortion.
- Medical abortion is the method of using medication to end a pregnancy. It is safe and effective for the termination of pregnancies under 8 weeks.
- Surgical abortion involves the use of a suction machine to remove the tissue from the uterus. This method is effective for the termination of pregnancies up to 14 weeks.
WHERE CAN ABORTION BE DONE?
Abortion pills can be taken at the clinic or at home.
Surgical abortion of pregnancy under 12 weeks can be done on the premises of the clinic.
Surgical abortion of pregnancy from 13 to 24 weeks must be done at a hospital.
HOW THE ABORTION COST CALCULATED?
Abortion cost can be broken down into:
- Initial consultation fee
- Blood test fee
- Ultrasound scan fee
- Medication fee
- Anaesthetic fee
- Procedure fee
- Ward fee
- Post review fee
WHAT IS THE ABORTION COST IN SINGAPORE?
Abortion cost may vary, depending on the size of the pregnancy and the women’s general health condition—the bigger the size of pregnancy, the more expensive the abortion procedure.
Cost for an abortion in a public hospital range from $750 to $2000. Do note that a referral from a polyclinic is required to engage this service at a public hospital. Average waiting time for an appointment at a public hospital is one to two weeks.
Abortion cost at a private clinic ranges from $1000 to $4500. The advantage of getting abortion service at a private clinic is that women can save on the waiting time. This helps save on the money in many cases because the long waiting time advances the pregnancy size.
Singaporeans can use Medisave ($900 – $1050) to cover the abortion cost at a private clinic.
WHAT ARE THE BEST PRIVATE ABORTION CLINICS IN SINGAPORE?
Listed below are the 5 best MOH-Approved clinics offering abortion services for pregnancies up to 24 weeks.
If you have been successful with your first step to parenthood, congratulations! Now it’s time to move on to the next step: Getting an OBGYN doctor to ensure the safety of your pregnancy and delivery.
A safe pregnancy is measured by good antenatal care. Make sure that you will be provided with a range of prenatal diagnostic tests to screen for abnormal baby development, risk of certain genetic disorders and conditions that could affect maternal health.
The journey to parenthood could be tough but it is one of the most rewarding. Your pregnancy and delivery time will be safe and easier with the assistance of an experienced doctor. Find your right OBGYN practitioner below.
IVF is never an easy journey. But it is one of the most worth-trying journeys one can take in life. If you are going to embark on it then read our guide to find out all the must-knows.
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING AN IVF CLINIC:
- Success rate: IVF success rate is a must-ask while looking round to find your right fertility clinic. It is important because the proven success rates ensure the chance of achieving your dream of having a baby. The higher the clinical pregnancy rates, the higher your chance of getting pregnant.
- Specialist: There are clinics where the specialist is the one who manages the patient treatment every step of the way. There are also clinics where only the important tasks are taken care of by the specialist, the rest is left in the hands of the team’s healthcare professionals. So, make sure you know who will manage your treatment to ensure that you are provided with continuity of care and the best possible chance to solve your issue.
- Location: To many couples, IVF treatment is a hard and long journey to take. It requires couples to travel back and forth between home and the clinic often. So, make sure the fertility clinic you go with is located in a convenient location to save you time and hassle.
STEPS TO EXPECT DURING IVF:
- Pituitary suppression: Your natural cycle is suppressed with the use of medication (GnRH agonist/antagonist).
- Ovarian stimulation: A fertility hormone (FSH) is injected daily for between 9 to 14 days to encourages the ovaries to produce more eggs than usual.
- Egg monitoring: The egg development is monitored via ultrasound to make sure the number and size of the eggs are adequate before aiding their maturation by the final injection.
- Egg retrieval and semen collection: Eggs are retrieved by inserting a needle through the vaginal canal. Semen sample needs to be collected on the day of egg retrieval procedure.
- Fertilisation: The eggs and the sperm are mixed together in an incubator for a few days to allow them to be fertilised.
- Embryo transfer: Embryo transfer occurs two to five days after egg retrieval.
- Pregnancy test: Your pregnancy blood test is due about 14 days after the embryo transfer.
HOW ARE THE IVF TREATMENT FEES CALCULATED?
IVF treatment fees often break down into three main types of cost:
- Pre-treatment costs: Including the consultation fee for your first appointment with your specialist and the charges for initial tests.
- IVF cycle costs: They are the charges for medications, egg retrieval, embryo transfer, laboratory charges, hospital accommodation, anaesthetic service, use of operating theatre, nursing fees and others.
- Advanced science costs: Advanced scientific techniques such as PGD may be required, depending on your individual needs.
HOW MUCH ARE THE PRE-TREATMENT COSTS?
- Consultation fee: S$150 – S$300
- Fertility tests: S$240 – S$440
HOW MUCH ARE THE IVF CYCLES COSTS?
- Fertility medication: S$2,500 – S$3,500
- Egg monitoring: From S$1000
- Egg retrieval: S$3,550 – S$10,000
- Sperm collection: From S$1,250
- Embryo transfer: S$1,500 – S$5,500
HOW MUCH ARE THE ADVANCED SCIENCE COSTS?
- Laser-assisted hatching: S$150 to S$600
- Blastocyst culture: S$150 to S$300
- PGD: Can be up to over S$10,000
So, in summary, costs of IVF treatment at public hospitals range between S$10,000 and S$15,000 per cycle while it starts from S$7,999 and can go up to S$20,000 per cycle at private hospitals.
GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY FOR IVF: MOH CO-FUNDING
As long as there is one person in the couple is a Singapore citizen, you can get MOH co-funding when seeking IVF treatment at public hospitals which are:
- KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- National University Hospital
- Singapore General Hospital
Couple’s citizenship MOH co-funding (fresh cycles) MOH co-funding (frozen cycle) SG citizen + SG citizen 75% (up to $7,700) 75% (up to $2,200) SG citizen + PR 55% (up to $5,700) 55% (up to $1,600) SG citizen + Foreigner 35% (up to $3,600) 35% (up to $1,000)
GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY FOR IVF: THE USE OF MEDISAVE
This applies to Singaporean and PR couples, which allows you to use your Medisave to pay for IVF treatment. The maximum amount one can withdraw in a lifetime for this kind of treatment is $15,000.
IVF cycle Medisave limit 1st $6,000 2nd $5,000 3rd & subsequent $4,000
PROS AND CONS WHEN GETTING IVF TREATMENT AT PUBLIC AND PRIVATE HOSPITALS:
Pros Cons Public hospitals Lower cost (co-funding) Longer waiting time for an appointment to see a specialist Private hospitals Shorter waiting time for an appointment to see a specialist
Customer service is of better quality
Higher cost (No co-funding)
Couples who decide to go to a private hospital for IVF treatment should consider prenatal insurance that covers IVF to keep the cost manageable. Check it out with insurers like AIA, AXA, and Pacific Prime Singapore for those kinds of insurance.
Here are the best fertility clinics in both public and private sectors for your consideration.