Physiotherapy might be a vague concept to most people. What is it exactly? The Cambridge Dictionary defines physiotherapy as “the treatment of problems of the muscles, joints, or nerves, especially using exercises or by rubbing or moving the affected body parts.” Some modes of physiotherapy include
- physical exercises
- manual therapy
- heat therapy
- and acupuncture.
WHO NEEDS PHYSIOTHERAPY?
Physiotherapy can be helpful to different people of different ages. It is most commonly sought by
- athletes suffering from sports injuries
- workers with chronic neck or back pain
- and elderly folks who need to maintain mobility.
Even if you don’t fall under any of these categories, you might need physiotherapy if you are suffering from pain, ailments, or reduced movement affecting any of the following areas:
- Bones, joints, and soft tissue – back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and sports injuries
- Brain or nervous system – movement problems resulting from a stroke, multiple sclerosis (MS), or Parkinson’s disease
- Heart and circulation – rehabilitation after a heart attack
- Lungs and breathing – chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and cystic fibrosis
COST OF PHYSIOTHERAPY IN SINGAPORE
The cost of physiotherapy in Singapore varies depending on the type and duration of the treatment. In addition, home care options and the level of expertise of the physiotherapist may also affect the price of each session.
On average, the cost of physiotherapy in Singapore ranges from S$100 – S$300 per 45-minute to 1-hour session.
WHERE TO FIND EXPERIENCED PHYSIOTHERAPISTS IN SINGAPORE?
We scouted the whole island to develop our list of the 5 best physiotherapy clinics in Singapore [2023 review]. Read on to learn more about our recommended clinics and decide which is best for you.
Ashford Medical Centre provides various health and wellness services, including physiotherapy with state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
It focuses on providing high-quality services by understanding and prioritizing the patient's physical, mental, and medical needs and offering therapies catering to their specific requirements.
As it’s a comprehensive health centre, the out-patients also have the opportunity to consult with a general physician and receive any pain relief medication, combined with physiotherapy, for faster recovery.
Several associations accredit it, including CHAS, Medisave, and Pioneer Generation.
- Super Inductive System (SIS) for non-invasive, convenient, and faster physiotherapy: Besides high-quality manual physiotherapy services, Ashford Medical Centre also offers the Super Inductive System (SIS), which uses the high-intensity electromagnetic field for massaging the impacted area. This technology works faster than manual therapy, accelerating pain reduction in 5 to 10 sessions. It’s hassle-free as compared to manual therapy, as patients don’t necessarily need to change into a gown. This technology can be used for virtually every musculoskeletal and nerve-related pain type.
- European Spinal Traction Therapy for safely fixing spinal pain: Another cutting-edge technology used at Ashford Medical Centre’s physiotherapy department is Spinal Traction Therapy. This device stretches and decompresses the spine to relieve pain and improve posture. It can help treat pain from spinal conditions like sciatica, degenerative disc, facet joint syndrome, and chronic lower back pain.
- Seasoned physiotherapists and doctors who work together to find solutions: Ashford Medical Centre’s physiotherapists and doctors come together to find the most effective pain rehabilitation solutions. They advise patients on whether their pain can be managed with just therapy or a combination of therapy and medicine. More importantly, all the therapists and doctors at the clinic are trained to prioritize communication with clients, which ensures clarity and transparency.
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Lumbar pain/strains
- Antenatal and post-natal physiotherapy
- Elbow/wrist pain
- Neck pains and cervicogenic headaches
- Plantar fasciitis and heel spurs
- Frozen shoulder/Shoulder ailments
- Rehabilitation after orthopaedic surgery
- Sports injuries/work injuries
- Trigger finger
- Home care advise
PRICES & PACKAGES:
- Initial 15-minute Consultation and 30-minute Therapy Session at $120
- 5-Session Bundle at $750
Bernard Sim (Associate Physiotherapist Officer)
- 10 years of clinical experience
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (University of South Australia)
- Over five certifications in different physiotherapy practices
A new entrant in the industry, Benchmark Physio was founded in 2022 in Singapore, providing a wide range of physiotherapy services.
Headed by APA Titled Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist Ng Hong Kai, the team of physiotherapists at this clinic are professionally trained and have years of experience.
In addition to providing physiotherapy services at their facility, they also provide home physiotherapy, which is convenient for people with injuries or disabilities.
- Internationally accredited physiotherapists: Benchmark Physio’s physiotherapists have attained post-graduate musculoskeletal and sports physiotherapy qualifications from universities in the UK and Australia. Furthermore, the Chief physiotherapist is the only one in Singapore with dual accreditation as an APA Titled Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist and tertiary trained Exercise Scientist.
- Specialized in sports massage services: Benchmark Physio offers sports massages and specific muscle and joint pain physiotherapy. Designed to relieve muscle stress and improve performance in athletes, this type of massage can be great for people who regularly play sports and workout. It can also help with conditions like plantar fasciitis, runner’s knees, and lower back pain common in lifters.
- Several leading health insurance partners: Benchmark Physio offers a direct billing (cashless) facility in partnership with some of the leading health insurance providers in Singapore, including Mednefits, DA Adept Health, IHP Healthcare, and MHC.
- Physiotherapy for musculoskeletal pain (neck pain, knee pain, back pain, etc.)
- Home physiotherapy
- Sports massage
- Dry needling
PRICES & PACKAGES:
- Physiotherapy Consultation (45 mins) – S$180
- Physiotherapy Teleconsultation (30 mins) – S$120
- Home Physiotherapy (45 mins) – S$250
- Sports Massage (60 mins) – S$100
- Dry Needling – S$120
NG Hong Kai (Clinic Director and Chief Physiotherapist)
- APA Titled Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist (MACP)
- Master of Clinical Physiotherapy (Musculoskeletal), from Curtin University (Australia)
- Master of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney (Australia)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise & Sports Science), University of Sydney (Australia)
- Member of the Australian College of Physiotherapists and Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Registered with the Allied Health Professions Council, Singapore, and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- GEMt Certified Dry Needling Practitioner
- Over a decade of practice
Darren Choo (Sports Massage Specialist)
- Diploma in Pearson BTEC Level 3 Body Massage
- Certification (WISC) Certified Sports Massage Therapist
- Certified in Trigger Point Therapy, Myofascial Release, Stretch Therapy
- Two years of active practice