Chinatown Wet Market
Filed in best wet markets | January 08, 2021
Chinatown Wet Market is one of the most exotic wet markets in Singapore. Situated at the iconic Chinatown Complex along Smith Street, this wet market still retains its Chinese heritage and cultural elements.
- A part of Chinese culture in Chinatown: Located in Chinatown Singapore, Chinatown Wet Market has a vibrant atmosphere of this ethnic neighborhood. You can find typical Chinese cooking ingredients like Chinese vegetables, herbs, and spices and have a chance to observe the way Chinese people doing business as well.
- A place to buy live shellfish: Whether you want to find expensive stuff like crabs and lobsters or more affordable ones like cockles, clams, and prawns, you can get them at Chinatown Wet Market. The array of big, live crabs and lobsters in plastic crates is impressive.
- A market for exotic meats: Live frogs, eels, and even turtles are meat ingredients in some special recipes of the locals. If you want to taste something different and delicious without learning any exotic recipes, you can try the popular frog porridge at these places.
5 Best Wet Markets in Singapore to Immerse in Local Culture
WHAT ARE ON OFFER?
- Vegetables with a main focus on Asian varieties
- Chinese herbs
- Tropical fruit
- Fresh meats
- Live seafood
- Dry goods
- Preserved foods
- Homemade tofu and mock meat
PRICES: For the same purchased items, prices are cheaper in comparison with supermarkets’.
ATMOSPHERE: Chinatown Wet Market gathers Chinese Singaporeans, especially senior residents flocking to get their favorite food ingredients. So, the hum of voices from various Chinese dialects is in the air. This market is colorful with a beautiful array of fresh vegetables, fruit, and spices and exciting with the typical smells of a wet market.
PLUS POINT: Chinatown Complex Food Centre, located at the same level with the market, is one of the best hawker centres in Singapore. It offers tasty and popular dishes such as chicken rice, popiah, bee hoon, and fishball noodles.
- Come early for the best selection
- Bargain for better prices