The 5 Best Hawker Centres in Singapore
Eat & Drink | January 03, 2021
Where can travelers have good local foods at reasonable prices in Singapore? The answer is simple – hawker centres (also known as food courts). Those down-to-earth culinary destinations are where you can find a wide variety of local dishes, from Chicken Rice, Fried Kway Teow, Hokkien Mee, Bak Kut Teh, Satay, Laksa, and Chilli Crab to the healthy Yong Tau Fu dish.
Despite the cheap prices (from S$2.50 to S$5.00), the quality of food is good. A lot of food connoisseurs in Singapore frequently visit the best food courts in town for their favorite indulgence. Who can resist the lure of the delicious satay at Chomp Chomp Food Centre or the tasty chicken rice at Maxwell Road Hawker Centre?
There are hundreds of food courts with thousands of food stalls in Singapore that you shouldn’t miss. We have picked the 5 worth trying eating places for you to eat like a local while staying in our city.
- You can find all the must-try local foods here: Being the largest hawker centre in Singapore with over 260 food stalls, Chinatown Complex Food Centre offers foodies a full range of local dishes from chilli crab, black pepper crab, BBQ stingray, BBQ chicken wings, satay, carrot cake, char kway teow, Hokkien mee, chicken rice, bak kut teh, frog porridge, dim sum, lor mee, prawn noodles to kway chap and pork intestine as well as popular desserts like ice kachang, chendol, tau suan, and soya beancurd.
- Foods are offered at the cheapest prices: Food prices at Chinatown Complex Hawker Centre are very reasonable and competitive because there are many stalls selling similar foods. Diners can enjoy a plate of chicken rice or a bowl of laksa at prices from S$2.50 to S$3.00.
- Singapore iconic hawker centre: Old Airport Road Food Centre, one of the oldest and largest food courts in the island city, serves authentic yummy local food to many generations of Singaporeans. Absolutely, you will find all the popular Singaporean dishes there.
- Offering the best soya beancurd in Singapore: The food court is home to some of the best soya beancurd stalls including the renowned Lao Ban Soya Beancurd and 51 Soya Beancurd. You will always see long queues in front of these two stores. The beancurd is offered at S$1.50 per bowl for original flavour and S$2.00 per bowl for almond flavour.
- There are many famous food stalls at Maxwell Road Hawker Centre: One of them is the well-known Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice stall (#01-10), serving the best chicken rice in Singapore. Other popular stores are Zhen Zhen Porridge (#01-54), China Street Fritters (#01-64), Marina South Delicious Food (#01-35), and Hoe Kee Porridge (#01-45).
- Great location in Chinatown: Strategically located in Chinatown and opposite the beautiful Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum, this hawker centre is an ideal place for visitors to have a rest and enjoy tasty local food while exploring Chinatown.
- A clean and spacious hawker centre: Renovated recently, Tiong Bahru Market Hawker Centre is now one of the cleanest and most spacious hawker centres in Singapore. This food centre is equipped with the latest mechanical exhaust system for each of its stalls and smartly utilized the open-air, so you will definitely enjoy the airy, comfortable and relaxing atmosphere there.
- Located right above one of the best wet markets in Singapore: The hawker centre is situated on the second floor, while you will find the famous Tiong Bahru Wet Market on the first floor with fresh produce. Therefore you can at once enjoy mouth-watering Singaporean foods and experience the original feature of a typical Singapore wet market during your visit.
- Stall #02-05 offers the best chwee kueh in Singapore: If you are a fan of chwee kueh or simply want to taste a delicious version of chwee kueh, join the long queue at food stall Jian Bo Chwee Kueh at #02-05.
- A hawker centre catering for late-night diners: Unlike other food centres opening from morning to evening, Chomp Chomp Food Centre starts from 18:00 until late every day. So if you are hungry and want to have good hawker food at late hours, head to Chomp Chomp Food Centre.
- Serving some of the best satay in Singapore: To many Singaporean foodies, Chomp Chomp Food Centre is a satay mecca. Pork, beef, chicken, and mutton satay are all available.
Frequently Asked Questions about Singapore