Kok Sen Restaurant
Filed in best zi char places | July 03, 2018
Established more than 50 years ago, Kok Sen Restaurant has a legendary reputation of serving delectable zi-char food at reasonable prices. This coffee shop offers the most satisfying, Cantonese-style zi-char experience with back alley dining in a low-key ambience. And looks can be deceptive! It is pretty evident from the loyal following waiting to indulge in a splendid Chinese fare time after time.
- A traditional zi char place in a hipster enclave: Located at Keong Saik Road, a bustling spot for delicious food, Kok Sen is one of the last old-school eateries surviving among a number of modern ones. For those who love the contrast between modern and vintage, this zi char place is an enjoyable culinary destination.
- An outstanding Cantonese-style zi char menu: From classic items like Sweet and Sour Pork to unique creations like Salted Egg with Wolfberry Leaves, Kok Sen’s menu holds most interest for those wishing to have the goodness of both the familiar and the new.
- Claypot Yong Tau Foo with unusual flavours and texture is one of the restaurant’s specialties. Homemade yong tau foo is simmered with eggplant and capsicums filled with squid and prawn paste to achieve that bold, wholesome flavor. Served in a unique braising sauce brimming with umami goodness, it is utterly lip-smacking when served bubbling hot.
- Hor Fun with the largest prawns ever is seriously worth every penny. With a brilliant wok hei, it is a clear winner on hands with its smokey aroma and spicy, starchy broth spiked with raw egg ribbons and traces of dried shrimp. People keep coming back for this amazingly delicious dish.
The 5 Best Zi Char Places in Singapore
MENU: Kok Sen menu has all the trappings of classic zi-char food from delicious soups to a variety of seafood, chicken and pork dishes. It also serves some rare to find, unusually flavoured Chinese delights. Cold beer is available to wash down your hearty meals.
- Big Prawn Hor Fun
- Claypot Yong Tau Foo
- Big Prawn Bee Hoon Soup
- Stir-fried Fish Head with Bitter Gourd
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- Braised Pork Ribs with Bitter Gourd
- Golden Dragon Chicken
ATMOSPHERE: A simple zi-char stall with both indoor and outdoor seating, this place is always packed with people regardless of the day. A proof of delicious authentic food? It must be that. The staff is extremely helpful and the service is usually quick.
NOTE: No Air conditioning available
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$20