Rumah Makan Minang Indonesian Restaurant
Filed in best indonesian restaurants | July 04, 2018
The business of Rumah Makan Minang has been started since 1954 by a passionate family from Indonesia. Since then, this restaurant is one of the best places in Singapore to have a plate of Nasi Padang.
- Halal Indonesian restaurant specializing in Padang food: When it comes to Indonesian food, there are many well-known styles. Among them, Padang-style food, the cuisine of the Minangkabau people of West Sumatra, Indonesia is one of the most famous styles. In Singapore, diners can find the best Padang food at Rumah Makan Minang restaurant, established and run by a multi-generational family, migrated from Padang.
- The most authentic version of Beef Rendang: Not many of us know that the Beef Rendang was invented by the Minangkabau. So if you want to taste the most authentic version of Beef Rendang, choose the one at Rumah Makan Minang. It is a spicy version in which the beef is prepared to be a bit chewy so that all the flavours will gradually burst in the mouth.
The 5 Best Indonesian Restaurants in Singapore
Rumah Makan Minang’s menu is quite small with around 15 non-vegetarian dishes and 5 vegetarian ones offered. Despite small sized menu, this restaurant still serves up some specialities like Botok-Botok (fish marinated in a variety of grounded spices then steamed in banana leaf) and Paru Belado (fried marinated cow’s lung served with chilli slices). Kueh, Malay dessert, is also introduced on the menu.
- Beef Rendang
- Paru Belado (fried marinated beef lung)
- Tahu Telor (large fried tofu mixed with eggs)
- Sayur Lodeh (mixed vegetables in spicy coconut milk)
- Bagedil (mashed potato patties, coated with egg and fried)
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$7
LOOK & FEEL
Rumah Makan Minang is a two-storey shophouse restaurant, nestled in the heart of the Malay heritage district, next to Sultan Mosque. The ground floor is an open-air area with outdoor seating, overlooking the Sultan Mosque. The upstairs of the restaurant is an air-conditioned dining room that helps diners stay away from the heat. This restaurant features a simple interior with basic decoration.