7 Best Shopping Malls on Orchard Road of Singapore
Travel | October 23, 2020
Orchard Road is famous all over the world as an iconic shopping street of Singapore. Shopping malls line both sides of the road, one near to another, making it possible for shoppers to take a bus, MRT or taxi ride to it, and spend the whole day there exploring all the best that Singapore’s malls have to offer.
Probably your one day is only enough for you to fully enjoy one or two of the mega lifestyle malls on Orchard. If you have a whole week in Singapore just to leisurely checking out these shopping centres, then do it while following what strike your fancy at that time. But if you only have a day or two for shopping, you will need this list to find out which malls are the best match for your needs and interest.
- Luxury and high street brands all under one roof: Expanding four floors under and four floors above the ground, ION houses a mix of brands and boutiques ranging from high-end to mid-range and high street brands. Level 1, 2 and 3 are dedicated to luxury brands such as Gucci, Prada and Dior. However, the price point drops as you descend into the basement floors; here shoppers can find a wider variety of affordable brands like H&M, Zara and Uniqlo.
- A range of specialized services and exciting deals for tourists: ION is one of the few malls in Singapore that has concierge desks situated throughout the mall to assist their customers. Here tourists can find all the information they need on the latest discounts and offers to enhance their shopping experience. Customers can also get assistance in making reservation at a restaurant or getting taxi service at the concierge desk. Tourists receive a complimentary airport transfer in an exclusive limousine ride upon minimum spending of $5000.
- Fantastic view of the cityscape from ION sky: Shoppers can spend a relaxing evening 56 stories above the Orchard Road, taking in the breath-taking view of the city through an impressive 360-degree observatory situated above ION Sky. Here you can also indulge in a memorable dining experience at the renowned Salt Bar & Grill owned by celebrity chef Luke Mangan.
- Great mix of high-end and mid-range brands: One of the biggest highlights of this mall is the variety it offers in terms of price range without compromising the quality of the products and services. Whether it’s the well-heeled customers looking to make extravagant purchases at designer boutiques or high street fashionistas seeking the best deals in the most-sought-after brands, Paragon has something for everyone.
The first floor of the shopping center is filled with high-end designer labels including Balenciaga, Burberry, Emporio Armani, Givenchy, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Loewe and Miu Miu. As shoppers ascend to the second and third floors, they will find a plethora of mid-ranged brands such as Marks & Spencers, Esprit, Coach and Calvin Klein along with various other home-grown brands.
- Exclusive deals and promotions to enhance shoppers’ shopping experience: If you’re a tourist who loves to shop, you’re in for a treat. Paragon offers a variety of exclusive rewards for big spenders including a free drink on $500 of spending or an exclusive card holder with a minimum spend of $1000. Splurge 2 grand or more on your favorite brands and you get a free limousine ride to any destination of your choice!
- Expert child minding service for tour little one: If you wish to enjoy a day of uninterrupted retail therapy without having to worry about any parental duties, you can leave your little ones in the hands of child care experts at Mind Champs Preschool located on the sixth floor of the mall. Each session at Mind Champs costs $9 with a minimum booking of two sessions.
- A shopping landmark with a mix of renowned brands: As one of the oldest malls of Singapore, Ngee Ann’s oriental exterior creates a stark contrast against its modern interior packed with some of the most renowned European luxury brands including Chanel, Céline, Burberry and Christian Dior among many others. Budget shoppers can also find mid-ranged high street brands like Zara, Kate Spade and Mango in the basement including make-up stores like Sephora. There are plenty of eateries and restaurant options for food lovers ranging from local hawker fair to a mix of oriental and western cuisines. Ngee Ann City has a lot on its menu.
- A city of entertainment: Ngee Ann City provides visitors with a truly enjoyable experience which extends beyond shopping and dining. The popular Takashimaya square in the mall is the hub of entertainment which hosts an array of activities from concerts to bazars and fashion shows to carnivals.
- Takashimaya Department Store: One of the biggest Japanese department store, Takashimaya, is also housed inside Ngee Ann and occupies a large area of the mall, extending from basement 2 all the way till level 4. This impressive store has a huge variety of products ranging from fashion items to food and household essentials. Takashimaya gives a lifestyle shopping experience like no other.
- A book lover’s haven: What really sets Ngee Ann apart from the other shopping malls on Orchard Road is the presence of Singapore’s largest book store, Kinokuniya, on the fourth floor. The store holds a huge variety of books and magazines and truly is a book lover’s paradise.
- Experience luxury shopping at its finest: Vertu, Emporio Armani, Hugo Boss, Victoria’s secret, Tumi and Samsonite – are just a few to name among a plethora of designer labels and luxury brands that are housed by Mandarin Gallery. Shoppers can find a bit of everything in here; from home-grown designers such as Ashley Isham to chic Chinese couture at XI Apparel & Jade and renowned American brands such as Michael Kors.
- Home to some of the best restaurants in town: Mandarin Gallery boasts a small and intimate mall space in the heart of Orchard Road for the well-to-do shoppers to enjoy a great meal amidst their retail therapy in order to enhance their shopping experience. The mall has an array of restaurants offering diverse cuisines from Chinese noodles to Japanese sushi and Parisian desserts to American Steaks. Locals and tourists are specially attracted by Ippudo which is known for serving some of the tastiest ramen dishes in the country. For those craving a taste of Paris, step into one of the most sophisticated French patisserie in Mandarin Gallery, Antoinette, to experience some of the most decadent chocolate creations, all hand-made by the finest french pastry chefs.
- Affordable high street fashion: 313@Somerset is increasingly becoming popular among teenagers and young adults who’re looking for a quick retail fix on a budget. Some of the fashion offerings of the mall include renowned brands like Zara, Uniqlo, Cotton On, Mango, New Look, Forever 21, and Esprit. If you’re in need of a pair of affordable shoes, you can also find flagship stores for Converse, Ecco, Aldo and Puma here.
- Enjoy a meal on the European inspired discovery walk: The mall’s layout was inspired by the famous streets of Europe and in order to bring the outdoor vibe inside the mall, 313@Somerset has a famous Discovery Walk built inside the complex where shoppers can stroll around and imagine that they’re walking in the breezy streets of Europe. There are also a number of alfresco bars and restaurants situated on the Discovery Walk where you can enjoy a relaxing meal after a hard day of shopping.
- Exciting discounts and promotions for tourists: Orchard Central offers a host of services and promotions for tourists which allows them to avail a 25% discount on selected stores. Tourists may have to present a proof of identity at the concierge desk on the ground floor in order to avail this offer. Shoppers can also avail three hours of complimentary parking upon spending $50 or more on a single receipt.
- An art and entertainment hub on Orchard road: Orchard Central has definitely distinguished itself from other shopping malls on Orchard Road by offering a host of entertainment experiences from its renowned Art Trail to a Roof Garden and Discovery Walk, both of which are operational 24/7. Shoppers can soak in the view of the bustling city from an altitude while enjoying a meal at one of the restaurants at the Roof Garden.
- Indoor sporting activities: The shopping mall is also home to Singapore’s largest indoor climbing wall called Via Ferrata where adrenaline and sports junkies can indulge in a rock climbing session from mid-day till 21:00. This 30 meter tall wall climbs up till the fifth floor of the mall and serves as a main attraction for tourists and locals who’re looking for a day filled with fun and adventure. If you’re looking to torch some extra calories, you might want to head over to the sixth floor which houses a contemporary style yoga studio, Hom Yoga, and a martial arts training facility called Evolve MMA.
- A mouth-watering array of delectable cuisines: From the Mediterranean food court in basement 2 to the Thai barbeque and buffet restaurant Talay Kata, Orchard Central has a lot on its menu to appeal to different palates. A dinnertime buffet at Talay Kata can cost $28.8 per person where you can choose from an array of delectable seafood options such as lobster and king crab and authentic Thai soups and curries. For a taste of authentic Korean food, head on over to K. Cook Korean BBQ Buffet on the seventh floor where you can enjoy a Korean-style BBQ buffet for lunch at $15 per person. To satisfy all your sugary cravings, Jewel Artisan Chocolate on Level 2 offers some of the best pies and cakes during their afternoon high tea costing only $14.80 per person.
- A food lover’s paradise: The dining options in this mall are endless. Each of the seven floors in Plaza Singapura has a plethora of restaurants and cafés to choose from and it’s no wonder why the place is so packed with hungry locals around lunch and dinner time. Asian cuisine is the dominant theme here with restaurants such as Crystal Jade Kitchen, Itacho Sushi, Bangkok Jam, Thai express, SUKI-YA, Ichiban and Coco Ichibaya to name only a few. For a taste of Europe, shoppers can check out the European diner, Ambush, on the fourth floor. The mall also houses renowned fast food chains such as McDonald’s, KFC, Nandos and Starbucks. Check out the food hall in the basement for some interesting snacks and dessert bars.
- The ultimate entertainment and shopping resort: The seventh floor of the mall is purely dedicated to entertainment with a spacious multiplex cinema called Golden Village and an arcade of games for children and fun-loving adults alike.