Filed in best Japanese hot pot | May 22, 2020
As its name suggests, Black Cow, is a Japanese restaurant in Singapore that specializes in dishes using high grade beef from the famed black cattle of Japan. It claims to be the first restaurant in Singapore to introduce Kanto-style sukiyaki, the traditional style of cooking beef in Japan. While this restaurant is popular for its premium beef bowls, hot pot lovers also flock to Black Cow for a gastronomic feast of shabu-shabu and sukiyaki.
- A5 wagyu: Black Cow offers premium hot pot options with A5 black cattle wagyu from Japan. Depending on the season, you can order shabu-shabu or sukiyaki with A5 Matsusaka, Omi, or Hida beef. A4 Kagoshima beef is also available.
- Complete shabu-shabu and sukiyaki set: All shabu-shabu and sukiyaki choices at Black Cow are served with salad, appetizer, seasonal vegetables, and dessert. Dashi broth and udon or porridge are added to the shabu-shabu menu while the sukiyaki set comes with the usual raw egg and warishita (Black Cow sukiyaki sauce).
- Executive lunch menu: Black Cow’s regular menu is available for all-day dining but patrons can opt for the more affordable executive lunch menu for their noontime meal. The Premium Sukiyaki Set is available for lunch at S$58.
5 Best Japanese Hot Pot Restaurants in Singapore
MENU: The all-day dining menu contains starters, Black Cow specialty beef bowls, shabu-shabu and sukiyaki sets. Black Cow also boasts of a wide selection of Japanese sake including Juyondai, the so-called king of sakes.
- A5 Matsusaka Wagyu Beef Shabu-Shabu
- A5 Matsusaka Wagyu Beef Sukiyaki
- Kurobuta Black Pork Belly Shabu-Shabu
- Kurobuta Black Pork Collar Sukiyaki
- Premium Don
- Signature Hida Truffle Don
- Truffle Scallop Carpaccio
- Chilled Truffle Somen
AMBIENCE: Black Cow has the typical Japanese modern minimalist feel with its primarily black and brown interior. The marble-top tables, black tiles, textured walls, and wooden shelves lend a classy touch to the laid back and casual atmosphere. The restaurant has ample space for families and friend groups.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$85 (All-day); S$40 (Lunch)
- Prices are not inclusive of 10% service charge and government taxes.
- A S$40 corkage is charged for every 750ml bottle.
- Black Cow offers a one-for-one policy that allows customers to enjoy 1 bottle of wine without corkage for every bottle purchased from the house.