Filed in best Japanese hot pot | January 10, 2021
As its name suggests, Black Cow, is a Japanese restaurant in Singapore that specializes in dishes using high-grade beef from the famed black cattle of Japan. It claims to be the first restaurant in Singapore to introduce Kanto-style sukiyaki, the traditional style of cooking beef in Japan. While this restaurant is popular for its premium beef bowls, hot pot lovers also flock to Black Cow for a gastronomic feast of shabu-shabu and sukiyaki.
- A5 wagyu: Black Cow offers premium hot pot options with A5 black cattle wagyu from Japan. Depending on the season, you can order shabu-shabu or sukiyaki with A5 Matsusaka, Omi, or Hida beef. A4 Kagoshima beef is also available.
- Complete shabu-shabu and sukiyaki set: All shabu-shabu and sukiyaki choices at Black Cow are served with salad, appetizer, seasonal vegetables, and dessert. Dashi broth and udon or porridge are added to the shabu-shabu menu while the sukiyaki set comes with the usual raw egg and warishita (Black Cow sukiyaki sauce).
- Executive lunch menu: Black Cow’s regular menu is available for all-day dining but patrons can opt for the more affordable executive lunch menu for their noontime meal. The Premium Sukiyaki Set is available for lunch at S$58.
5 Best Japanese Hot Pot Restaurants in Singapore
MENU: The all-day dining menu contains starters, Black Cow specialty beef bowls, shabu-shabu, and sukiyaki sets. Black Cow also boasts of a wide selection of Japanese sake including Juyondai, the so-called king of sakes.
- A5 Matsusaka Wagyu Beef Shabu-Shabu
- A5 Matsusaka Wagyu Beef Sukiyaki
- Kurobuta Black Pork Belly Shabu-Shabu
- Kurobuta Black Pork Collar Sukiyaki
- Premium Don
- Signature Hida Truffle Don
- Truffle Scallop Carpaccio
- Chilled Truffle Somen
AMBIENCE: Black Cow has the typical Japanese modern minimalist feel with its primarily black and brown interior. The marble-top tables, black tiles, textured walls, and wooden shelves lend a classy touch to the laid back and casual atmosphere. The restaurant has ample space for families and friend groups.
AVERAGE PRICE/PAX: S$85 (All-day); S$40 (Lunch)
- Prices are not inclusive of 10% service charge and government taxes.
- A S$40 corkage is charged for every 750ml bottle.
- Black Cow offers a one-for-one policy that allows customers to enjoy 1 bottle of wine without corkage for every bottle purchased from the house.