Whether setting up your first apartment or upgrading the existing one, one of the prime investments you have to make is; a sofa. Finding this furniture piece is not as easy as it seems. Never run into an instinctive rush when buying a sofa as it is one of life’s pleasures and the most used piece of furniture. Try to find the right mix of comfort, support, and design.
Things to consider before buying a perfect sofa in Singapore
There are several other considerations to keep in mind, like durability, style, upholstery, and shape. Our buying guide will help you to make the right sofa purchase that will last for years and provide you and your loved ones with an exceptionally comfortable experience. And we also have picked the 5 best sofas to buy in Singapore [2023 review] to make your work easy. The following are the factors to consider before purchasing a sofa:
- Measure your room/space:
What could be worse than buying a sofa that does not fit your space? So, before you decide on the style, color, or fabric, you must measure up your area. This includes the size as well as the shape of the room. For example, buying a huge sofa for a small or narrow living room would not be a good purchase as it will not leave any space for anything else! You can use measuring taps for this.
- Types and sizes of sofas to consider:
After measuring the size and shape of the room, the next thing to think about is the type of sofa that will fit and suit your space.
- Loveseat: it is of shorter length and ideal for two people. This comfortable furniture piece is often paired with a sofa and placed in an L-shaped arrangement.
- Sectional sofa: ideal for large spaces or family rooms. You can arrange sectional sofas into several configurations. These are multi-piece sofas.
- Small sofa: “Apartment Sofa” is another term used for a small sofa. Unlike large sofas, these small ones have less depth and length as they are designed to fit in a small space.
- Sleeper sofa: is ideal for an overnight guest; you have to unfold it to reveal a mattress. The mattress may be air-filled or foam filled.
- Bench seat sofa: want a cleaner look? This sofa is perfect for you. The seats of bench seat sofas are more comfortable as there is no crack between the cushions.
- Sofa fabrics and materials:
The most crucial step is deciding on the fabric. There are several fabric options available. These includes:
- Performance Fabric Sofa (spills or stains easily cleaned)
- Velvet Sofa (chic choice yet looks and feels luxurious)
- Canvas Sofa (offers a breezy coastal vibe and durability)
- Twill Sofa (casual, soft, and durable)
- Leather sofa (for everyday living and gives classy vibes)
- Linen Sofa (for elegant living rooms, cool and soft to the touch)
- Boucle Sofa (chic, fun, casual, and easy to maintain)
- Slipcovered sofa (easier to maintain, machine washable, and great for active household)
- Textured Weave Sofa (soft, well-built, and beautifully tactile)
- Chenille Sofa (silky and extremely plush)
- Sofa styles:
Choosing a sofa that goes well with your overall room’s aesthetic is crucial. There are several styles to pick from, such as chesterfield, curved back sofa, armless sofa, track arm sofa, tight back sofa, pillow back sofa, low profile sofa, slope arm sofa, pillow arm sofa, roll arm sofa, etc.
- Sofa cushions:
While deciding on sofa cushion fillings, always go for a mix of feather and foam. Foam sofas are uncomfortable, and down feathers can be a bit pricey, so a blend of these delivers the perfect balance between affordability and comfort. Moreover, if you want to give your living room a traditional look while maintaining the class, go for tufted sofas!
- Sofa arms:
Round arms are the characteristics of traditional sofas, while you will see square arms on contemporary and modern sofas.
- Seat depth:
Another thing you can not ignore is the seat depth of your sofa (everybody has their preferences). If you want more room to relax and recline, go for an extended seat depth. Moreover, you can also go for sleeper sofas (designed for hosting guests).