The 5 Best Chilli Crab in Singapore
By Editor | Updated on November 07, 2016
If you are looking for the most typical and enjoyable dish for your trip in Singapore, it is hard to look past chilli crab. Basically, chilli crab is a seafood dish in which stir-fried crab is coated with sweet, savoury and spicy tomato based sauce. This dish is often accompanied by steam or deep fried buns (also known as mantous).
Chilli Crab is listed at number 35 on the World’s 50 most delicious foods, complied by CNN Go in 2011. This Singaporean iconic seafood dish is a must try to complete the culinary exploring journey of any travelers. And here are the five best seafood restaurants in Singapore for you to have the best chilli crab.
- A spicy version of chilli crab: Long Beach’s chilli crab is granted to be the highest rank of seafood feast, especially for chilli – seafood lovers. The higher level of spiciness sets this restaurant apart from others. The gravy is an impeccable combination of spiciness, sweetness and saltiness, complementing perfectly with man tou. And how is the crab? Absolutely, it is the best of your dish with very juicy and fresh flesh.
- Best place to have black pepper crab: This legendary dish was firstly created by a talented chef of Long Beach. Since then, black pepper crab has become a Long Beach’s signature dish and obtained the remarkable reputation amongst restaurants. As such, crabs are served up on your table with a perfectly coated layer of fragrant and delicious black pepper sauce, making the fresh and succulent flesh tastiest.
- Chilli crab with various level of spiciness: If you order chilli crab at No Signboard, you are best served with the level of spiciness on your own taste. A No Signboard’s chilli crab plate is always in tantalization; appearance may be sometimes pretty messy, though.
- Home to best white pepper crab: No Signboard ‘invented’ Singaporean white pepper crab, in fact. No other places provide better white pepper crab than No Signboard. The restaurant possesses a perfect recipe of this dish. The peppery taste is strong but doesn’t overwhelm the sweetness of crab’s flesh. Served with some vegetables, this pepper sauce-coated crab dish goes well with fried rice.
- Classic chilli crab: The thing that defines the style and tastes for chilli crab at a seafood restaurant must be the chilli sauce. No doubt, the chilli sauce of Jumbo lives up to its reputation – a classic version, which is thick, sweet, and slightly spicy. Its spiciness level is at the lowest one, compared with its other counterparts, so it might be just nice for Western palates.
- In a classy ambience: The high quality chilli crab in a classy ambience makes passed-by people jealous. Jumbo seafood at Boat Quay is located by the riverside, overlooking the splendid Singapore River. At the outdoor seating area, you can get a good view of Singapore’s old port, plentiful modern skyscrapers, iridescent reflection on the river, running twakow boats and the stylish people of all kinds. The air-conditioned dining area inside is nicely set up for a chilled-out night. Jumbo is definitely a fashionable seafood restaurant in Singapore.
- Delectable chilli crab: Whether you want to have super fresh crab or a unique flavour of chilli sauce, Red House Seafood is an ideal place. Red House’s chilli gravy is sweet rather than savoury and this luscious sauce is gone well with crab meat or deep fried mantous that deserves to die for.
- Comfortable ambience: Red House Seafood offers chilli crab in a comfortable, fresh and airy ambience. To experience the dining to the full, it’s better to choose outdoor seating to relax yourself with the sea breeze and ocean view. Red House Seafood at East Coast is situated right in the East Coast Seafood Centre and this spacious restaurant carries enough seats for large groups.
- Delicious chilli crab: Chilli crab at Mellben is one of the best in our Lion city. You can always get very big crabs in thick, spicy and slightly sweet chilli sauce. Just request for a less spicy plate if you cannot bear high level of spiciness.
- Best place to have claypot crab bee hoon: Claypot crab bee hoon (also known as claypot crab vermicelli soup) is basically a noodles soup dish, highlighted by milky broth, which is rich with the aroma and sweetness from crabs. For many locals, Mellben is the best place to enjoy claypot crab bee hoon - a crab dish that may be new to your culinary dictionary but can make you melt from the first spoon of soup.
- Outstanding butter crab: Close your eyes and imagine a big crab coated with thick, buttery, sweet and slightly spicy sauce. The combination of seafood and butter may not be something out of your world, but Mellben’s recipe is really out of this world. It is a dish to die for.
You may also like